How many carboys is too many?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many carboys is too many?

• That is too many carboys for any one wine maker.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
My wife's friend Jane stopped by the other day with more Carlo Rossi bottles. Two more 3L and another 4L! I now feel it is my duty to make something to fill them. The question is when do you have too many carboys? Lets take a poll.:r

secondaries.JPG

Well I voted!
You NEVER have enough. Don't ask as I lost count.. but, 30+...Most are full..

madriver

if all you have is 6 small jugs, then you have NO carboys (ie 3 or 6 US gallon puppies). At least that's my view.

I currently have three 23 litre carboys full of wine, one primary with 23 litres of wine in it (and some grape skins), and I have bottled two 23 litre batches this week.

Steve

Steve

You ain't even close my man. If I remember, I have two six and a half gallon, ten six gallon, eight five gallon, five three gallon and probably twenty five to thirty one gallon carboys Plus two eight gallon stainless steel conical fermenters. I know others that have many many more than me.

Wow Smurfe..

that's damn impressive.. Where do you store it all?..

Allie

I'm the only wine drinker at my place, but find 1 6.5 gal., 5 6 gal., 2 5 gal., 5 3 gal., and 4 4 lt. carboys almost enough for me. Except around harvest time that is. :h

I only have 3 5gallons carboys with 2 being in use right now. Then again, I just recently started making wine so you have to give me time to ramp up. ;)

That said, I can see myself buying more in a not too distant future. Where will it stop? I'm not quite sure. So I don't know how many will be too many...

You ain't even close my man. If I remember, I have two six and a half gallon, ten six gallon, eight five gallon, five three gallon and probably twenty five to thirty one gallon carboys Plus two eight gallon stainless steel conical fermenters. I know others that have many many more than me.
I must say thats impressive. That equals about 170 gallons that can be fermented at the same time!

Lets see here we have 30-6 gallon, 6-5 gallon. 3-3gallon amd 5-1 gallon. Just bottled 5 cases today leaving 18-6 gallon carboys full. I have another 72 gallons of Chilean juice coming this Sunday. Looks like I will be busy this Sunday
Soon fruit season next.

Enough for me but no where near as much as some of you but like Racer im basically the only wine drinker in the house with the exception of my wife drinking some of my choc/rasp port! I have 6-6's, 3-5's, 2-3's, 8-4ltrs, and 3-3ltrs.

We are just getting started but so far we have 6-5gal,2 glass and 4 are plastic, 3-4L, 1-1gal and 9 3L. I am enjoying experimenting and the 4L are perfect. I have to take the 3L in order to get the ones I want. They are handy for excess to use for topping off. But at only 4 bottle deep they come up alittle short.:d Hey Smurfe is it against the rules to drink the remenants after topping off or are you supposed to save it again ?:r

Those 3 liters are great if you are making 4 liter batches after racking off sediment.

I'm rather like Tom in that I have 32 5-gallon carboys, and 5 6-gallon carboys (1 in plastic). I also have a 50L neutral barrel, which is soon to be paired with another brand new barrel next month.

Keep in mind that I bulk age. Normally, the youngest I bottle has already been racked 4 times and has sat a year. I don't normally degas, file, or filter. Hence why I have so many carboys. I only have perhaps an average of 300 bottles filled at any one time that are continuously recycled. So in the end, nearly everything I drink has spent minimum 1 year in bulk, and about 1 year in bottle - even the whites.

At this stage I feels that I will cry .... Not because of happyness that I have so many carboys ..... But you know I have only some bottles in which I make (experiment) wine making with the help of balloon method. :b

I don't know were to buy carboy type of thing in India in my city, hard to find.... :D :h

Just to show how bad I have this disease here is an update only a month or 2 later!!:r
1 -6 gal glass, 8- 5gal ,4glass and 4 plastic, 4-4L,1- 1gal., 12 -3 L, 3- 1.5L I think??
At this rate I can see how Tom and others end up with a truck load of carboys lol. I am having a great time along the way though.:D
My Loganberry was a hit at the cook out last night. I brought a bottle of the Plum and a magnum of the Loganberry. Only left with one empty bottle??? :)Sister has the disease too.
:b, Steve

I have six 6-gallon carboys. Generally for personal use that is plenty to have 2-3 batches on the go... for me that's a lot.

i wouldnt have any problems taking care of any leftovers/overflow anything you decide you dont all have room for anymore lol

i wouldnt have any problems taking care of any leftovers/overflow anything you decide you dont all have room for anymore lol
I hope you were talking to me. CGI drinks like a fish lol.:d Extra is not in his vocabulary.:)

I hope you were talking to me. CGI drinks like a fish lol.:d Extra is not in his vocabulary.:)

:h Yeah, I guess my post didn't paint me in a positive light. LOL! I meant, 6 carboys is plenty no matter how much I was in the mood to make.

:b

Latest posts

Back