How many carboys do you have?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many Carboys do you have?

• Just 1

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • 2 is perfect

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • 3-4 suits me

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I can't make wine fast enough 5+

Votes: 26 63.4%

• Total voters

skiboarder72

Reaction score
Just taking a poll, how many 5 or 6 gallon carboys do you have for winemaking?

I'm probably still a light weight when it comes to carboys. But I have 2, 5 gallon and 5, 6 gallon carboys and 1, 6.5 gallon. Depending on the time of year that is either too many or too few carboys.

Oh and even though you didn't ask for smaller sizes. 5, 3 gallon carboys too.

Honestly, I couldn't tell you without going into the basemet and counting. It has to be over 10 for 5 & 6 gallon carboys. I just picked up 2 - 1 gallon ones yesterday for the first time. Every couple of months I try to sneak another one or two in the house.

:u OK I counted tonight... (1) seven gallon, (12) six gallon, (3) five gallon and (2) 1 gallon. I really need to focus on getting some 1/2 gallons and bungs for 750mm bottles.

Last edited:
You are kidding, right? You haven't even scratched the surface for numbers yet. Your categories should have been in multiples of 10 at least! LOL I can't say in public how many I have........................

Who made up this survey? :?
I think there should be 10+, 15+, 25+, 30+ carboys.. I have More than the last # LOL !

Must be a newbee ...

2-5 gallon and 9-6 gallon but thinking about picking up 1 more of each when I go to the winery on Saturday. I'm just getting started.:h

Rod

As of today I have
2 6 gallon better bottles
2 italian 6 gallon
2 5 gallon mexican
1 glass 3 gallon
2 1 gallon jugs
Yeah I'm catchin the fever. I think I'm using the 2 5 gallons for beer only though.

Nosey FNG question

How do you guys use up all that wine?

I'm just now clarifying my first kit. I really enjoy doing it, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to drink it fast enough. I figure that it would take me 15 months to drink one kit, and that's assuming I drank nothing else (which isn't going to happen). Contrast that to the guy I read today who does 1-2 kits a month just break even. OMG, that's almost 60 bottles a month!

Last edited:
LOL !!!
Gee I go thru close to 90 bottles a month (2-3 a day)... Now when I was a newbee. I did say something close to what you said. But, look what happens when the "hobby" takes over... :dg:dg:dg

Holy cow! Alright well I think I'll have to redo this poll at a later time, with more options... I really can't believe that people have this many carboys though! What the hell does everyone do with all of them? Are you selling the wine? Seriously 10+ carboys!! :ib

1 is too many and 40 isn't enough, what do you do with all the wine, my son is coming over with backhoe this weekend to dig out new wine cellar. Seriously I give away a lot of wine. My goal is to convert the small town I live in to wine drinkers:)

I have 2-6 gallon, 7-5 gallon, 3-3 gallon, 5-1 gallon, 3-3 liter.

All full except for 1-6 gallon, 1-5 gallon, 1-3 gallon & 1-1 gallon. These would be full as well but I need them for racking.

in 1990, I started with 5cb,
by 1995, I had grown to 10 demijohns
by 2000, I had grown to 4 500liter stainless steel tanks (holds 2 year worth)

Latest posts

Back