How many 5 gallon pails for 15 lugs crushed and destemmed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentgimpy

Junior
Reaction score
Hi... it's my first time picking up fresh grapes. I trying to figure out how many pails I'll need to to transport the must home. Is there an approximate lugs per pail equation?

Thanks,
Dave

one 5 gallon pail should hold about 15 lbs of grapes. normally a lug is 35 -36 lbs. it takes 12-15 lbs. for one gallon of finished wine. there are the basics do the math

one 5 gallon pail should hold about 15 lbs of grapes. normally a lug is 35 -36 lbs. it takes 12-15 lbs. for one gallon of finished wine. there are the basics do the math
He’s getting asking about Crushed grape volume for pickup containers. Not finished wine.

Not exact science since diff grapes will vary. But x1 lug takes up about ~3.5gal of must.
Or another way is:
Grape lbs divided by 10 = gal of must

So your 540lbs = ~54gal must.

x11 pails theoretically.
But with 5gal pails I’d just do 1 pail per lug to keep it simple and easy to move around. Can always condense if needed.

He’s getting asking about Crushed grape volume for pickup containers. Not finished wine.

Not exact science since diff grapes will vary. But x1 lug takes up about ~3.5gal of must.
Or another way is:
Grape lbs divided by 10 = gal of must

So your 540lbs = ~54gal must.

x11 pails theoretically.
But with 5gal pails I’d just do 1 pail per lug to keep it simple and easy to move around. Can always condense if needed.
Thanks for your reply. This gives me a rough idea of how many pails and space I'll need to transport.

I hope I was saying that 12-15lbs of uncrushed grapes is required to have one gallon of finished wine. I was hoping I was giving some options on how many lbs. of grapes he requires to make the amount of wine he desires.

Latest posts

Back