How low SO2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dufresne11

Reaction score
Anyone who read my thread about room temps knows I oversulfited the heck out of my must. Now that I am getting it down to some normal levels my question is this.

At what SO2 level may I attempt the re-pitch of my yeast? I am thinking below 40ppm might work

40 ppm is right about where you would want it. Maybe a little lower but most wine yeast should tolerate that.

To get it lower "spalsh" it pouring it from one bucket to another. This will flash off the sulfite. Have you had it under airlock? if so let it breath.

I will try to get it under 40ppm... Tom I have been taking your advice and splashing it around the last couple of days. I am hoping to repitch tomorrow am....

Your cultured yeast will work fine at 40ppm. I've used more than that to stun wild yeast and then put in the cultured yeast. :b

I got the Cab Sauv down to 35ppm. I was going to repitch when I noticed that that fermentation had started again. Wow those are some tough little yeast. I put in some energizer and the Cab Sauv is rolling again. Keeping my eye on the SG which has lowered ever so slightly since fermentaion again this morining.

Perhaps I will be as fortunate with my Pinot Grigio... alright back to splashing wine around in buckets

Did It!... I splashed the heck out the Pinot Grigio but darn it if it didn't start back up again when I repitched the yeast.... looks like I am back in the saddle.... learned a valuable lesson as well so it looks like a good bid all around

Latest posts

Back