How long will wine last under vacuum?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get an idea how spices affect the flavor of wine without making a full batch.
I added an assortment of spices to quart jars of wine from bulk using lids intended for vegetable ferments. I know the little VacuVin type pump won't give an industrial level vacuum but the lids hold a vacuum for 3 weeks - which is my schedule for tasting.

This is more about the flavor of the spices than preserving the wine. Any idea how long I can continue this experiment?

vac jars.jpg

If I were doing it, I would use lids with airlocks instead of using vacuum lids.

I seem to recall you had some of the same lids with airlocks that I have, but if not, here's a link to something similar to what I have:
Fermentation Lids, Fermentation Kit for Wide Mouth Jars, 6 Set Plastic Fermenting Lids with 6 Airlocks, 6 Silicone Grommets, 6 Silicone Rings(Jars Not Included)
https://a.co/d/2khZtRz

If I were doing it, I would use lids with airlocks instead of using vacuum lids.
I thought the same thing, but looking at the pictures, these are wide mouth jars and the amount of headspace vs volume is higher than makes me comfortable. I'm not generally in favor of keeping wine under a vacuum, but in this situation it offers better protection for the wine.

Until the wine oxidizes? ;)

Is there any reason you can't pump the jars weekly to ensure the vacuum is holding?
I was curious about the lids and this was a test.
The vacuum holds for 3 weeks, I taste, I pump, taste again in 3 weeks.

BTW, good flavor extraction after 3 weeks. After 6 weeks additional flavor was minimal.

I seem to recall you had some of the same lids with airlocks that I have, but if not, here's a link to something similar to what I have:
Fermentation Lids, Fermentation Kit for Wide Mouth Jars, 6 Set Plastic Fermenting Lids with 6 Airlocks, 6 Silicone Grommets, 6 Silicone Rings(Jars Not Included)
https://a.co/d/2khZtRz
Originally they had airlocks. My concern was opening to taste and then not having CO2 to fill the void.

Oh gosh, I have airlocks and lids with grommets. Been fermenting vegetables or years. I buy airlocks by the bag, 15 at a time.

I thought the same thing, but looking at the pictures, these are wide mouth jars and the amount of headspace vs volume is higher than makes me comfortable. I'm not generally in favor of keeping wine under a vacuum, but in this situation it offers better protection for the wine.
I agree completely - the headspace and surface area are crazy. I would never do this if I wasn't testing flavors.

Just curious, though - is there a reason you're not in favor of using a vacuum?

Latest posts

Back