How long to age riesling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jal5

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this riesling was from Chilean grape juice bucket started in April. It has clearednicely in the bulk 5 gal plus 1 gal separate. It fermented to dry so will need backsweetening before bottling. How long should I bulk age this?
Tastes like a young wine, very dry. No off flavors nbut not much grape flavor either.
Joe

this riesling was from Chilean grape juice bucket started in April. It has clearednicely in the bulk 5 gal plus 1 gal separate. It fermented to dry so will need backsweetening before bottling. How long should I bulk age this?
Tastes like a young wine, very dry. No off flavors nbut not much grape flavor either.
Joe
Got one of those too. Started 4/28/18. Wondering if some added sweetness will bring out the grape flavor? Haven't decided if I'm leaving it dry or adding sorbate and back sweetening. I tend to let the whites go about a year until I bottle so I haven't really sampled this one as of yet.

I am hoping that sugar will bring out the flavor more too. Fantastic color. That gives me a timeline for bottling thanks.
Joe

A good Riesling should have high acidity and if so should never be back sweetened if so. It is one of those grapes that might actually takes years to mature, and so can be fermented with very low brix if the acidity is right.

IMHO, too many times people here throw sugar into their wine rather than trying to find a correct balance. Your wine may be ideal as a dry white that may take years to mature. Resist the temptation to back sweeten for a quick solution. First, try to find the balance.

Someone once sent me a chart of the "correct" amount to backsweeten a Riesling, based on the ph and the ta. It was from some board in Germany. I haven't ever been able to find it again, but I will admit I haven't looked really hard for it. As one might expect, the higher the ta, the more sugar was suggested.

Inside Winemaking podcast did a series on Riesling from a conference in Traverse City, MI this year. Riesling winemakers from all over the globe. Audio not balanced well, but lots of great information on making Riesling.

This is just about a year bulk aging now. Just a touch of sugar for my dear wife and it’s good to bottle. Not bad to me too.

Touch of sweetness will bring out the flavor..........everybody in the world does not like dry wine....gotta remember, I'm from the South where we drink sweet tea.

Got 25 bottles done today!
Tastes pretty good.

2 bottles were from the bottom of the carboy and were a little cloudy compared to the rest. Should I do anything with them or just allow time to settle?

I will definitely do this again. Maybe try California riesling in the fall.
Joe

I often mark the last 4 bottles I bottle up with a B (oftentimes on the cork) for bottom, even if there isn't anything on the bottom and I try not to give those away to folks. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but just because they came from the bottom. They will be the ones I will taste earliest.

Had a ten year old riesling a while back. Tasted very petrolly ( sorry European term). I think it's a characteristic of old riesling. Should suit petrolheads.

Latest posts

Back