WineXpert How long to age my completed kit wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globalnavigator

Reaction score
I'm about to shut down operations for awhile to prep for a move. I have done the wines listed below. All are Wine Expert kits except for the Super Tuscans (RJS). What kind of time range should I target for consumption on each? I'm thinking 1-3 years on most, with 1-5 years on the Eclipse kits?

Australian Petit Verdot w/skins
Select Int'l w/grape skins Brunello
Mosaic Red LE 2015 CA blend
Eclipse Lodi Ranch II Cab Sav
Eclipse Old Vine Zin
Super Tuscan w/1118 yeast it came with
Super Tuscan using BM 4x4 yeast
Chilean Malbec w/2 oak spirals added

Assume I followed kit instructions, will be storing inside closet 70-75 degrees range, and used Nomacorcs for all.

Thanks!

I now make premium kits exclusively and have had a few bottles reach the 3 year mark. Usually i consume them from 18 to 30 months depending on taste. My storage conditions are not ideal with summer temps getting into the mid 70's and winter down to the high 40's. So far I have had none that i would say were too old. With your closet temps in the 70's, i might be cautious with your 5 year group. I have a friend that stores for up to 5 years but he has a cool basement wine room.

cheers

I'm just starting out but my target is to bulk age for 8-12 months and then bottle. From there I plan to stash away 10-12 bottles to be aged in the bottle for 1-3 years. The remaining bottles I'll start drinking shortly after they are bottled.

I currently have 2 batches (6 gal each) bulk aging - 3 months in so far. I am aging them in the basement that's in the low to mid 60s. I think ideally you'd want it to be in the mid 50s. I agree with Putterrr. If you plan on aging them in the bottle for more than a year I'd be leery storing them in 70+ degrees, no sunlight or not, that's pretty warm. Just my 2 cents.

Youve got an impressive selection. Give them plenty of time and they will be great. 3 to 5 years is not out of the question.

3-5 or up to 7 years, sure, 3-5 or up to 7 years stored in 70-75* range likely wouldn't bode well.

Back