How long to Age in New Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious how long you gents leave your wine in NEW oak barrels? I have a brand new 55L French oak barrel that has been full for about 1 month. My local shop says that when barrels are new, first batch should not be in there longer than 3 months...

Thoughts...?

Somewhere between 2 and 3 for that size, let the oak taste guide you, remembering that it will fall back some during aging.

I second that. Record the time for reference, but let taste dictate.

It depends so much on the wine style you are shooting for. One thing I do is for a new 50l, one month for the first wine. Then another, etc. At some point the first wine goes back in for more time. More oxidation etc without overtaking it.i

A good rule of thumb is 1 week per gallon of capacity. 55 liters is roughly 14 gallons, so I would plan on 14 weeks (3.5 months).

This is just a rule of thumb that I use for planning purposes. There are many variables at play, not to mention your personal tastes as far as oak.

I, therefore, recommend that you taste the wine every two weeks or so (or when you top up). Keep an "eye" on the oak level in the wine and de-barrel when you are happy with it.

Depends on the varietal of wine as well. I ruined a beautiful Barbera by over oaking, where my cab franc did fine in that barrel the year before.

Thanks guys, I have been tasting quite a bit. The barrel is adding such an amazing vanilla flavor and it is beautiful on the nose. I will likely keep in the barrel for approx. 45/50 days.

Latest posts

Back