How Long the Untreated Lumbers Last?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedSun

Gardener
Reaction score
I've seen some 8' untreated lumbers for sale at good price. They appear to be something like Douglas fir. Not sure how long the post would last....

If it is in contact with the ground, or gets wet ... Not long.

If it is indoors, kept dry, etc. it can last longer than you.

It is marked as "landscape lumber" and I do not know what to use it for. 8' Round post.

I think Landscape Lumber is treated. Otherwise it would rot. You can use it in place of regular lumber if you don't need it outside.

Recently I finally finished replacing 32 "landscaping timbers" I installed a little over two years ago. Lots of unnecessary work.

A good treated post will last at least 20 years. Better off to pay a buck or two more now than replace in 5 years and buy again.

Here is the photo of the posts. They do not appear pressure treated. There is some substance on the wood and I'm not sure if that is weather exposure, or some treatment.

I'm talking about the posts, not the flat wood.

mmexport1432644743396.jpg

There flat on two sides and rounded on two? If so ive put them in the ground before just being cheap and had to completely rebuild the pen that I had built. Spent more in the long run

Latest posts

Back