Wine Kitz How long should it foam after fermentation begins?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cann0n

Sorta' Gettin' It
Reaction score
I started my first kit at home, and it foamed for the first three days. It's now day four in the bin and it isn't foaming very much, but there is a constant fizzling. Is that a good thing?

It's a Cabernet Sauvignon, the room stays around 18 degrees.

Really? Oh that's a relief. 18 is an okay temperature for fermentation?

The actual temperature of your fermenting wine is likely higher than 18 degrees (Celsius, I assume is what you mean)...at least during the more active part of fermentation. Have you measured the specific gravity? That will give you a better idea of how the fermentation is progressing.

That sounds normal from my experience but I'm still new. 18c is a bit cool room temp for fermentation but during peak the juice will warm up several degrees over room temp. I wouldn't get hung up on temps much I've not seen a change in taste from my kits.

What cab kit did you get. Reds take time to come around. They are drinkable after 1 month but really start coming into their own at 3 months. The longer the aging the better for reds. Whites I've found just a few weeks in the bottles is plenty for me.

18*C is great. You don't want to ferment too high. The higher the temp the faster the fermentation, the slower the fermentation the more flavor.

Latest posts

Back