how long should i keep my wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopa465

Junior
Reaction score
Forgive me, i am new to this site. I work part time at a local vineyard and in a few short months have dove head first into praticing the art of fermentation. Within the first few months of my employment I seemed to come out with 100 gals. of wine. This was last year and since half of the wine was second-run, i have been bottling it like mad as of late. My question is, how long can i keep my wine? Another worker that has the same back story as me says that i should have my whites and 2nd-run reds bottled and drank within the next year. (1 year ferment, 1 year in bottle/drinking) I do not drink enough of it to consume 100 gals a year.. Is it ok to cellar my wine? Will the wine lose quality if stored (in the correct conditions) too long? thanks for any help

Ask your vineyard.... :i

Now it depends on what grape you used, The alcohol level and if you kept up the meta.
Explain more please

I agree with Tom...

Your vineyard should be able to tell you.... But I think 1 year sounds way off. IMO

the owner doesn't really keep his long, just because he sells it so quickly. I work nights now and it is hard for me to have time to get out there.. the wines i have are Norton, 2nd-run St. Vincent, 2nd run Norton, lots of 1 gal fruit experimental wines, and my white is a mix of cayuga, syval, and chardonnell i think? The alcohol on the 2nd runs are pretty high (very limited equipment when i started). and what do you mean by "if you kept up the meta"?

and what do you mean by "if you kept up the meta"?

when bulk aging, its typical to add k-meta every 6 months or so to prevent oxidation.

so if you 'kept up' on dosing it to stave off oxidation, you shouldn't 'have' to consume it in the next year before its 'spoiled'.

Latest posts

Back