How long should i age my pinot grigio in carboy prior to bottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How long should i age my pinot grigio in carboy prior to bottling? My wife and I were not happy with what we bottled this year and looking to bottle this early. Not sure if there is a minimum prior to bottling or just base it on your specific gravity?

I’ve started bottling my whites as soon as they are clear, no sediment. That includes 2 weeks minimum in the fridge. If no crystals drop out it’s ready to bottle. My quickest was a Riesling in 4.5 months. But this one got a dose of Lysozyme that really drops out sediment like crazy. I was experimenting with using it to prevent MLF. I’m not sure I’m going to try this again. The wine is really light colored.

How long should i age my pinot grigio in carboy prior to bottling? My wife and I were not happy with what we bottled this year and looking to bottle this early.

There are three things that I would consider before bottling:
* Fermentation is completely finished (use your hydrometer to be sure!)
* The wine has cleared
* You are satisfied with the taste

I suggest that you do not bottle until you are satisfied with the taste. During bulk aging you can make adjustments and correct problems, but once it is in the bottles it is too late to change anything.

I bottle my PG within 8 weeks from beginning the wine. I wait for complete fermentation in the primary, rack into a carboy and add fining materials, 2 weeks later I rack off the lees then 2 weeks after that I rack again, I may bottle at this point if there is very little sediment but I usually wait another 2 weeks.

I started a Pinot Grigio in December with the intention of bottling it fairly quickly (to give to impatient friends and relatives ;) ). It's still not quite clear enough for me, so I'm going to let it sit for at least another month before I bottle.

There are three things that I would consider before bottling:
* Fermentation is completely finished (use your hydrometer to be sure!)
* The wine has cleared
* You are satisfied with the taste
This!

If the wine isn't finished fermenting, you're gonna blow corks.

If the wine isn't clear going into the bottle, you're either gonna pour murky wine OR you'll have sediment in the bottle.

If you don't like the taste of what goes in the bottle, the likelihood of liking what comes out is really low!

Latest posts

Back