How long is too long in a carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
So have a few wines that are already oaked ready to bottle but considering getting a barrel and thinking about holding them in carboys for another year until the barrel is neutral. As long at the carboys are topped up and receive periodic kmeta is there any reason they can’t wait in the carboy for another year so 2-2.5 years total?

So have a few wines that are already oaked ready to bottle but considering getting a barrel and thinking about holding them in carboys for another year until the barrel is neutral. As long at the carboys are topped up and receive periodic kmeta is there any reason they can’t wait in the carboy for another year so 2-2.5 years total?

That and longer, no worries.

I would add, as long as headspace is tight and the carboy is airtight, no need to add additional kmeta. Act as if you’ve got a large format bottle with a cork.

Carboy still has breathable silicone bung but I guess at this point I could swap that out for a solid stopper since it’s degassed.

I always use an airlock and add 1/4tsp kmeta every three months for each 5- or 6-gallon carboy.
I agree, always keep your carboys topped up and I prefer glass carboys but you can age in plastic if you dont want to have to run the risk of breaking carboys, I also prefer to keep a solid stopper once im confident no more off gassing is taking place I feel like it keeps more air out as I dont want to run the risk of excess oxygen or promoting any spoilage organisms to grow.

Carboy still has breathable silicone bung but I guess at this point I could swap that out for a solid stopper since it’s degassed.

I tried to use solid stoppers in my plastic carboys and discovered that they would pop out with fluctuations in temperature.

H

I tried to use solid stoppers in my plastic carboys and discovered that they would pop out with fluctuations in temperature.

H
Changes in barometric pressure, which occur daily, would also influence a solid stopper to pop. I use an airlock for bulk aging and have had them on for up to two years. I just make sure to keep an eye on the K-meta mixture in the airlock. I prefer the S type because the liquid seems to evaporate more slowly.

Glass carboy, solid bung, consistent temp <69 degrees, dark place or cover the carboy. Depending on pH and the wine, I would reduce the SO2 additions or change the interval to every 4 months, if you don’t have the means to measure the free SO2.

I Just bottled some Cabernet Sauvignon after 14 months in a carboy. Used an airlock with K meta in it. No problem, just have to keep an eye on the water level in the air lock. Everything went well. Also put in some French medium toast Oak at the start. Added K-meta after each testing (3-5 months). Nice Mustang, have a 67 GT.

Latest posts

Back