How long from bottle to drinking.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always suggest that after bottling you give a wine about 5-6 months because it will go through a couple different phases, first phase is bottle shock and that can last up to a month and a half at the longest. Then the wine will slowly start to age and improve and will potentially go through a few dumb phases where everything is extremely muted and the wine is not very aromatic. This is just a normal part of the aging process. Not every wine is meant to age though so some might age 1-2 years then start to get worse.

Grape & Granary WE kits are about 40% more than Labelpeelers. The few I've checked on run $30 - $38 more per kit. That's a lot!!
Some kits are more expensive indeed (especially a LP sale!). In my particular case, G&G offered a RJS Rockin’ Raspberry Rose where LP doesn’t have it in inventory. LP does beat their prices on many items, but that being said, for a place that allows me to sit down and sample the kits before I buy, to give me advice on wine or beer making, who rent equipment, and who are friendly and are helpful, I will frequent and spend money there (too). I can’t do these things at LP.
Both storefronts have a different business model, and yes, I would like to save money on everything, but I choose accordingly.
One last thought, I’ve taken friends over to G&G and introduced them to winemaking in a nice environment and they liked it, I just can’t do that at LP. Again, I shop both, they are just two different business models.

I support my LHBS as much as possible. This is partially self interest, as they'll be there when I need them.

Many moons ago I co-owned a LHBS -- my partner ran it from his cellar for 7 years, then I came in as a partner and we moved to a store front. We ran that for nearly 2 years, but agreed to quit as while we had no problem paying the bills, we weren't making any money. It was a sideline for both of us, and working a 40-50 hour job then going to the shop got old, especially with no significant paycheck.

We put out a mailing, letting folks know we were going out of business. People came in droves -- if that had been our normal business, we could have quit our day jobs! We had a least a dozen folks, none of whom my partner had seen in 5 years, ask why we were going out of business.
:slp

For those fortunate enough to have a LHBS within driving distance, count your blessings. While mine doesn't carry everything I need, it carries 90%, and if I'm in a hurry I can get what I need that day, rather than having to hope for quick delivery.

I support my LHBS as much as possible. This is partially self interest, as they'll be there when I need them.
^ THIS ^ Support local businesses when you can. I get down to The “big city” at least once a month. I like to stop at the home brew store just to pick up a few odds and ends and consumables I could maybe save a few bucks by shopping online but the store owner will be there with answers and service. Surprisingly, even some of the larger items are competitive with online retailers.

Many moons ago I co-owned a LHBS -- my partner ran it from his cellar for 7 years, then I came in as a partner and we moved to a store front. We ran that for nearly 2 years, but agreed to quit as while we had no problem paying the bills, we weren't making any money. It was a sideline for both of us, and working a 40-50 hour job then going to the shop got old, especially with no significant paycheck.

We put out a mailing, letting folks know we were going out of business. People came in droves -- if that had been our normal business, we could have quit our day jobs! We had a least a dozen folks, none of whom my partner had seen in 5 years, ask why we were going out of business.

For those fortunate enough to have a LHBS within driving distance, count your blessings. While mine doesn't carry everything I need, it carries 90%, and if I'm in a hurry I can get what I need that day, rather than having to hope for quick delivery.
We have a shop here that’s been here since the early 1990’s. It is nice but they are expensive compared to ordering online sometimes I find it more cost effective cause I can order online get free shipping and get it just as fast (next day) for way less.

Being that I work in the industry I have accounts with Scott labs and laffort and can get bulk products for way less money. My local shop wants $40 a pack for malolactic bacteria, I can get it from laffort for $20 a pack for same dosage so it makes it hard to support my local shop.

Last edited:

^ THIS ^ Support local businesses when you can. I get down to The “big city” at least once a month. I like to stop at the home brew store just to pick up a few odds and ends and consumables I could maybe save a few bucks by shopping online but the store owner will be there with answers and service. Surprisingly, even some of the larger items are competitive with online retailers.

if you don’t use the resource it will go away.

Latest posts

Back