How long does MLF take

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This chromoragrphy test is at 13 weeks. The Barolo seems stubborn. I have the carboys in a tent of sorts with a fluid filled radiator. The ambient temperature is 77*. When I put the probe thermometer into the carboy it was 68-69. How much longer should I expect before it’s finished. Thanks

E6947278-817C-4E24-9302-2B846FC633F8.jpeg

Have you been stirring it or adding nutrients? Occasionally some of mine take 3+ months. What bacteria did you use?
I have not been stirring or adding nutrients. I wanted the carboys to remain tight. When I took the sample, I gave it a stir and a lot of bubbles rose to the surface. At that point I debated whether to do the test or not. I could see it wasn’t finished. I used W-4007 in one Barolo and WLP 675 in the other. In the Old Zin I inoculated with W-4007 twice because I had an extra package.

I have not been stirring or adding nutrients. I wanted the carboys to remain tight. When I took the sample, I gave it a stir and a lot of bubbles rose to the surface. At that point I debated whether to do the test or not. I could see it wasn’t finished. I used W-4007 in one Barolo and WLP 675 in the other. In the Old Zin I inoculated with W-4007 twice because I had an extra package.

Many folks have reported having issues with both of those malolactic bacteria choices. for W-4007 these are the specification:
Alcohol Tolerance: 15% ABV
Free SO2 Tolerance: 15 ppm
pH Tolerance: Down to pH 2.9
Max. Inoculation Volume: 6 Gal.
Operating temperature: 55-90 F

That Free SO2 of 15 ppm is what usually gets people, there is also a total SO2 amount that it tolerates which is very low.

The specs for the WLP-675 are even stricter:
pH tolerant down to 3.0
Low temperature tolerant down to 55F
Alcohol tolerant to 15% abv
Free SO2 should be less than 10ppm

My guess is your MLF never started.

It varies sometimes a month or two, in my case it usually takes 15 days with Laffort B7 Direct. I highly recommend trying B7 direct in the future culture only costs about $20
Is that the product that is good for 66 gallons? I found two different packages. One was $20 Viniflora Oens the other $29 Viniflora CH 35. So here is a last ditch question. If I reinoculated with one of the above, would it complete quicker?

Many folks have reported having issues with both of those malolactic bacteria choices. for W-4007 these are the specification:

That Free SO2 of 15 ppm is what usually gets people, there is also a total SO2 amount that it tolerates which is very low.

pH tolerant down to 3.0

I had to delete my post when I saw yours pop up. @wineview, Craig hit it on the head. Those liquid cultures are just too finicky.

pH tolerant down to 3.0

If it never started, is it safe to rack add Kmeta and put into bulk?

Is that the product that is good for 66 gallons? I found two different packages. One was $20 Viniflora Oens the other $29 Viniflora CH 35. So here is a last ditch question. If I reinoculated with one of the above, would it complete quicker?

Quicker may not be the best way to put it. If you don't use one of the others it probably won't finish at all.

pH tolerant down to 3.0

Ph is 3.50. When I stirred tiny bubbles came to the surface. I need to know what the best way to proceed is. Thanks

It would be safe but wouldn't you want to try a dry culture. As long as you are topped up to within 1/4 to 1/2 inch your wine should be fine without sulfites.
Yep topped up. So sit and wait. Someone on the thread thought it might never had started. I’ll post yesterday’s reading at 13 weeks and another from December 8. December 8 version has Old Zin in the center. image.jpgAsimage.jpg

Yep topped up. So sit and wait. Someone on the thread thought it might never had started. I’ll post yesterday’s reading at 13 weeks and another from December 8. December 8 version has Old Zin in the center. View attachment 83950AsView attachment 83951

No, I was referring to if you wanted to add a dry culture. The liquid probably never started. One packet is good for all 3 wines. Or as you might have suggested just add the sulfite and forget about MLF.

No, I was referring to if you wanted to add a dry culture. The liquid probably never started. One packet is good for all 3 wines. Or as you might have suggested just add the sulfite and forget about MLF.
If it’s not too late I would like to try a dry culture. Would you be specific as to what type I should use. Also, I would like to turn off the liquid radiator it’s really raising the power bill. Would these dry cultures perform well at 58-60 degrees?

If it’s not too late I would like to try a dry culture. Would you be specific as to what type I should use. Also, I would like to turn off the liquid radiator it’s really raising the power bill. Would these dry cultures perform well at 58-60 degrees?

Either one that you would be able to find would be fine. I might lean toward the CH 35 since I know people have success with it. I can seem to find the temp range for it. The one I use is MBR 31 which goes as low as 55 degrees. It's just the colder the longer it takes. Wrapping a towel around it might help.

https://shop.scottlab.com/malolacti...acteria-mbr31?returnurl=/malolactic-bacteria/

Either one that you would be able to find would be fine. I might lean toward the CH 35 since I know people have success with it. I can seem to find the temp range for it. The one I use is MBR 31 which goes as low as 55 degrees. It's just the colder the longer it takes. Wrapping a towel around it might help.

https://shop.scottlab.com/malolacti...acteria-mbr31?returnurl=/malolactic-bacteria/
Thank you. And lastly, how many gallons will this package inoculate?

Latest posts

Back