How long does campdon protect wine from bacteria?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merrywine

Reaction score
Short story. I had mead bulk aging in a 1 gallon carboy and the solid bung popped out, I don’t know how long ago this happened, but today I discovered it. The fruit flies (about a dozen) were still floating. I smelled the mead and did not detect any vinegar aroma, removed the dead insects and covered the mouth of the carboy.

The question I have is does the campdon I used when racking a few months ago continue to protect against bacteria? Should I just give it another treatment of campdon? Just drink it before it turns? What would those of you with more experience do in this situation? Thanks!

metabisulphite / campden does not have a date where it expires, it is consumed by molecules with a high oxidation potential (ex oxygen). The answer is maybe it is still active, , how much is still present? Under normal, sealed storage with no added oxygen it will last. About five years back, I opened a 1978 gallon of mom’s raspberry wine from the basement which was still good.
The question I have is does the campdon I used when racking a few months ago continue to protect against bacteria?
Should I just give it another treatment of campden? !
You have a lot of unknowns therefore it is a good precaution.
My first concern would be oxidized ethyl alcohol (acetaldehyde) since you know oxygen was added, acetobacter (volatile acidity) is also possible but not 100% certain.
I like saloco’s suggestion of sprinkle powder, in part because the carboy has been quiescent and damage is higher on the surface.

Thank you for the information, this was a very tasty mead, I’ll taste it then treat it and sealing up good.

Latest posts

Back