How long does campdon protect wine from bacteria?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Merrywine

Reaction score
Short story. I had mead bulk aging in a 1 gallon carboy and the solid bung popped out, I don’t know how long ago this happened, but today I discovered it. The fruit flies (about a dozen) were still floating. I smelled the mead and did not detect any vinegar aroma, removed the dead insects and covered the mouth of the carboy.

The question I have is does the campdon I used when racking a few months ago continue to protect against bacteria? Should I just give it another treatment of campdon? Just drink it before it turns? What would those of you with more experience do in this situation? Thanks!

Rice_Guy

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
metabisulphite / campden does not have a date where it expires, it is consumed by molecules with a high oxidation potential (ex oxygen). The answer is maybe it is still active, , how much is still present? Under normal, sealed storage with no added oxygen it will last. About five years back, I opened a 1978 gallon of mom’s raspberry wine from the basement which was still good.
The question I have is does the campdon I used when racking a few months ago continue to protect against bacteria?
Should I just give it another treatment of campden? !
You have a lot of unknowns therefore it is a good precaution.
My first concern would be oxidized ethyl alcohol (acetaldehyde) since you know oxygen was added, acetobacter (volatile acidity) is also possible but not 100% certain.
I like saloco’s suggestion of sprinkle powder, in part because the carboy has been quiescent and damage is higher on the surface.

Merrywine

Reaction score
Thank you for the information, this was a very tasty mead, I’ll taste it then treat it and sealing up good.

Latest posts