How long does active fermentation last?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pam

Reaction score
I am just very new at this, but what I have found is that new wine just started will be very active for 7-14 days. After that it is slow and starts to clear. I might be wrong.. Like I said, no experience.
I have a friend that is making pear wine. Hers has been actively bubbling, bubbling for 2 months. Is that normal? The pear wine had a lot of pulp in it she said. She strained but it still had lots of pulp. Advice? thanks in advance.

Some wines can last a long time which mainly be attributed to cooler fermentation temps and also the size of the batch. Fruit and white wines will benefit from this long cool fermentation.

You say that it is actively "bubbling" which you're assuming to mean it's undergoing alcoholic fermentation, but has your friend been taking regular SG readings with a hydrometer? There are other things such as bacterial activity or malolactic fermentation that might resemble fermentation but are not. Like Wade said, temperature and size of the batch can both affect the rate of fermentation. Also, did she add yeast nutrient to the must? Most fruit wines require the addition of yeast nutrient for a healthy fermentation since the must is usually lacking in the necessary nutrients.

I use 1 tsp of nutrient and 1/2 tsp of energizer for every fruit wine.

Back