How long do you store your wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
So I managed to make about 330 bottles in storage and have another 200 in carboys. I think our first baby is on the way so my wife won't be drinking anything at all. Is there any concern that my wine will go bad? My oldest bottles are 1.5 years, everything else is typically around or under a year. Everything is mostly heavier reds. I store everything in my wine cellar under the stairs...62f in summer at the highest point...likely a few degrees cooler closer to the bottom concrete floor. 55f in the winter, humidity is usually over 50%. Also I used agglomerated corks designed for 3-5 years, should I be swapping these after 3 years or so?

I'll be right with you come fall or winter as far as bottle volume goes and my storage conditions are similar to yours. Personally I don't have any concerns about mine and don't think you should either. Corks I don't know, I use all natural corks but can't imagine I would have many bottles left after a five year period.

They are higher quality agglomerated corks but they say meant for aging 3-5 years. The wine has stained the cork maybe 3/8 of an inch up in the wine that's 1.5 years old...not sure if that matters. That said I can't imagine having any bottles after 5 years...plus the wife will be drinking wine again after the breastfeeding period is over i imagine.

So far I have found my sweet spot is 4 years. Unfortunately I didn’t make enough wine 4+ years ago to have much to drink now (I remedied that).

So far I have found my sweet spot is 4 years. Unfortunately I didn’t make enough wine 4+ years ago to have much to drink now (I remedied that).
Same issue this is why I started making a bunch of wine like crazy to keep a rotation. It seems the high end kits (showcase) though are pretty good after a year, I haven't seen much improvement in my carmenere much past 1 year. Who knows though I'll try another bottle at 1.5 years.

My high end Skin kits I now try to leave alone until 2 years.

Now with over a 1,100 bottles in the house we try to keep our wines 18-24 months before bottling. Some car boys, 3 smaller barrels. We have many wines that are over 5 years old with NO issues. Even have some fruit wines , Apple & Peach that are over 8 yrs old. All these wines have a “ 2 year” agglomerated corks, with no problems. Roy

Now with over a 1,100 bottles in the house we try to keep our wines 18-24 months before bottling. Some car boys, 3 smaller barrels. We have many wines that are over 5 years old with NO issues. Even have some fruit wines , Apple & Peach that are over 8 yrs old. All these wines have a “ 2 year” agglomerated corks, with no problems. Roy

1,100 bottles, I'll see you tomorrow. What will you be cooking to go with the wine?

Latest posts

Back