How long do I have to press?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonySoCo

Junior
Reaction score
I have confirmed that my primary fermentation has reached 0 brix using both a hydrometer and spectrometer. My question is how long do I have to press the must? I have a scheduling conflict that won’t allow me to rack the wine off of the gross lees within 1-2 days if I press now. Can I wait 6 or so days to press after the wine has finished fermenting? Thanks for any info!

You should probably press now, unless you can get your grapes very cold and do a long cold soak. It isn't the end of the world not to rack off the gross lees in 2 days, but it is best practice to do so. You don't want to leave the fermented wine open to the air for another week, while you aren't stirring it around.

You should probably press now, unless you can get your grapes very cold and do a long cold soak. It isn't the end of the world not to rack off the gross lees in 2 days, but it is best practice to do so. You don't want to leave the fermented wine open to the air for another week, while you aren't stirring it around.
Sounds good, thanks for the reply. I guess I have a late night ahead of me!

Latest posts

Back