How long do Corks Last

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
I bottle all my wine with semi synthetic corks, which is basically agglomerated wine corks (very finely ground up corks pieces). On the bag they say they are ideal for aging 3-5 years. Does this mean that after 3-5 years that I need to swap out the corks? At one point do most red wines start to go downhill?

I bottle all my wine with semi synthetic corks, which is basically agglomerated wine corks (very finely ground up corks pieces). On the bag they say they are ideal for aging 3-5 years. Does this mean that after 3-5 years that I need to swap out the corks? At one point do most red wines start to go downhill?

Match the quality of your corks to the quality of your wine. Putting a 15 year cork in a 3 year wine is wasteful, just as putting a 3 year cork in a 15 year wine is foolhardy. If you drink your wine really fast, it won’t really matter.

Decent quality, well made white kits are good for a few years, reds can last well beyond 5 years.

At one point do most red wines start to go downhill?

No such single number. It mostly depends on the tannin levels in the wine:

how-long-to-cellar-wine.png

No such single number. It mostly depends on the tannin levels in the wine:

how-long-to-cellar-wine.png
Hmm this is helpful, I suppose I should not have used such cheap corks on some of my wines. I would not really call them cheap though at $0.25 each, where can I get some 10 year corks? Better yet would swapping out corks damage the wine(opening for a minute and recording)

I use 40 year corks in my Nebbiolos because they can last that and longer. Since nebbiolo is the most tannic and acidic grape in the world, nothing is higher.

I have been using L D Carlson first quality corks for 12 yrs now. They are like 13 cents each in packs of 100. We still have wines bottled 8-10 yrs ago and NO issues. Whites & Reds. I’m amazed at how well they work especially for the price. Roy

I do have a nebbiolo but there are no skins in it, it's the atmosphere kit (formally kenridge showcase). I wouldn't say that it's super tannic though, maybe because it didn't come with skins...or maybe because I'm used to drinking tannic red wine. I know my father in law puckers right up and refuses to drink my higher end kit wines...works for me lol.

Latest posts

Back