RJ Spagnols How long can you bulk age??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francie

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

It has been almost two years since I've last posted anything! (Shame on me!) Anyway, I took a two year haitus from wine making, but do have a batch of Borolo in a carboy from two years ago. Is it any good????? I know I need to bottle it!!!

Thanks for the advice!!!

Have you been keeping the airlock full of water? Have you added any kmeta every few months? What temperature have you been storing it at? Give it a taste and if it tasted good I would bottle and enjoy!

Digger

yep, it's probably still good if your airlock didn't all evaporate. I find the italian triple bubblers can last all year under lock with water. The 3 part ones can't last anywhere near that.

I'm guessing that the batch of Barolo is going to be awesome after about 6 weeks from the time you bottle it.

Have you added any sulfites during this time, if not I would do so before bottling.

Sorry to steal your post. But I've been wanting to ask this question for a while.....How long is the ideal time to bulk age these reds. I've got 3 higher end RJS reds going, all started 6 months apart. I was planning on keepeing them in the carboys for 2 years until drinking, but wondering if that is a little overkill.....My plan is to have a batch ready every 6 months, with 2 years of age on them...

Thks

AS long as you have water in the airlock and keep the sulfites can be 2 years. I age all my reds 12 months min.

George recommends using solid bungs in your bulk aging carboys.... He says you do not need to add k-meta if you are doing this.

Back