how long can i wait

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

croppy

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2010
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
my winexperts reserve reisling has been in the secondary for about 8 days now, the s.g. has been at .994 for three days now, the directions say to degas and add the stabalizers and stuff to clear it. i dont have anything to degas it with and the stuff i ordered wont be here till mon or tues, is this to long to wait or will it be fine?

-dan-
 

Teamsterjohn

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Messages
385
Reaction score
4
I pretty sure that you can rack to your carboy now, add your stabalizers and degas when your order comes to you in a few days. And add the airlock to the bung.
 

Brian

I love this obsession
Joined
Aug 26, 2010
Messages
750
Reaction score
4
You could also just leave in you secondary until you get your order. It will not hurt it. If you rack it into the next carboy don't forget to top it up because there will be very little co2 to protect it if you move it out of the secondary.
 

BIGJEFF

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
do you have a long plastic spoon?
I successfuly used that to degas my first few wine kits, it's a bit of a work out but it works....
 

croppy

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2010
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
no i thought i had one when i started that is why i ended up waiting so long to get something, i know i should have checked but hey i was excited to start.
 

mxsteve625

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2010
Messages
497
Reaction score
2
I would just leave it alone until your equipment arrives on Monday. It won't hurt a thing.
 

croppy

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2010
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
ok everything arrived and the wine is stabilized and in the process of clearing, already a lot of sediment in the bottom of the carboy. shouldnt be long now till i bottle (not planning on letting this one age, just something to drink while i make the next one).

-dan-
 

Tom

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2006
Messages
11,356
Reaction score
102
Great !
Now do not rush to rack. Wait 2-3 weeks then rack. Also don't be in a hurry to bottle. You may need at least one more racking since its a white.
 

croppy

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2010
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
The waiting is the worst part lol, should just go and buy a filter
 

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Mar 1, 2009
Messages
20,304
Reaction score
2,211
WOOOOO slow down down cowboy! LOL Filter may clear it but it doesn't finish it. Let the wine finish and clear on its own. The extra couple of weeks may save an extra racking. Letting it sit will compact the lees so there is less chance of disturbing them while racking. If you do disturb them you will need to rack again in another 2-3 weeks to prevent having sediment in the bottles.
The wine will also finish and taste better waiting this time out.
 

croppy

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2010
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
yea i cant afford a filter contraption anyway lol. ill just have to find something to occupy my time while i wait, it doesnt seem to be going any faster while im staring at it. plus i dont even have any corks yet soooo i have time while i wait on those
 

croppy

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2010
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
ok wine was looking pretty clear, racking into a second carboy and will give it another week or two to finish up.
 
Top