How long can I soak rootstock?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was expecting my root stock of Pinot Noir (100 plantings) about two weeks ago. They were just delivered on Sunday. I soaked them for about 6 hours before planing. But, I didn’t get all of them planted and only was able to plant 40.

I leave for a two week business trip tomorrow and don’t have time to plant all of them. Even if I did get them planted, since I’ll be gone two weeks I have no way of keeping the young ones watered. And, I just got home from a 12 hour work day.

I know I’m rolling the dice by not planing them but I’m also rolling the dice putting them in the ground when the weather is going to be hot for the next two weeks.

So...are the 60 left over going to be a complete bust? I have a drip line installed for the 40 that I have planted so I think they’ll be fine.

Hey crush day, just had the same situation. The company I got mine from said max 6 day soak, and they stressed max and water change on 3rd day.... might need to bribe a neighbour...

probably not a complete bust, two years ago the neighbor took bunch of cuttings and rooted them in water. They will probably leaf out and grow roots together so field planting will be a harder shock on them.
So...are the 60 left over going to be a complete bust? I have a drip line installed for the 40 that I have planted so I think they’ll be fine.

If I can not plant root stock, I dig a trench, lay the stock in the trench, lightly back fill, and give it a good water. That should keep them fine for weeks. I have kept root stock in such trenches up to a year before planting (of course, I must periodically water the trench in summer).

Latest posts

Back