How long can I leave

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhopkins

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started a RJS Sauvignon Blanc kit (no skins) 20 days ago on 2/25. Had to leave town unexpectedly. All that is in the fermenter bucket is Bentonite, juice, water, and yeast. The fermenter is covered and has an airlock, so I figure I have a CO2 cap sitting on top with no oxygen threatening the batch. Not sure when I can get back to town to move to a carboy. How long can I leave the batch on the yeast without damaging the batch?

I started a RJS Sauvignon Blanc kit (no skins) 20 days ago on 2/25. Had to leave town unexpectedly. All that is in the fermenter bucket is Bentonite, juice, water, and yeast. The fermenter is covered and has an airlock, so I figure I have a CO2 cap sitting on top with no oxygen threatening the batch. Not sure when I can get back to town to move to a carboy. How long can I leave the batch on the yeast without damaging the batch?

It's my understanding wine will oxyidize from the top down. If you have an off smell or flavor you may be able to skim the top of the bucket until the smell and taste are gone or it could be fine. Just be careful not to disturb it too much.

The fermenter is covered and has an airlock

If the fermentation vessel is air tight, the airlock should be enough. As long as it does not "dry out" (assuming it is not a waterless airlock).

But you should come back and rack at some point. For a white, I would rack within a month from start of fermentation. As the gross lees might impart problems to the wine if left there too long.

from a kit it should be no problem sitting on the lees as for a white they will be just yeast, sort of a sur lee without the stirring it up weekly. assuming the airlock does not dry out you should but can't really say until you rack it.

Back