How long are yeast packets good for?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redskins

Reaction score
I ordered a 10 pack of Lalvin Dried Wine Yeast EC 1118 since it was so cheap. How long will these packs last for and i planned to keep them in a drawer that will be room temp about 70 degrees.

Thanks

They have an expiration date on them, but I keep mine in the fridge so I think line might be OK longer than the date.

Yes, the important issue is the expiration date. Note that yeast should be stored in refrigerator or freezer. Bring the yeast to room temp. Before you work with it.

I have good luck keeping mine in the freezer. This is from Lalvin's site:

You are right; we had stated in our old technical data sheet that dry
yeast should not be frozen. However in the last 3 years we had a project
running to optimize storage conditions for dried yeast. We stored several
lots of vacuum packed dried yeast at room temperature, in a refrigerator
and in a freezer and determined viability, vitality and fermentation
performance every 3 month for two years. The results indicated that freezing
the yeast does not harm the yeast but is even better than storing the yeast
at room temperature. BUT for all storage temperatures it is very important
that the yeast is still vacuum sealed. Air/oxygen is doing more damage to the
yeast than any difference in storage temperature.

Thanks everyone, they came in the mail last night and the expiration isnt until 2015.

Speaking of Lalvin EC 1118, what is the temperature range for this yeast to be active. I posted this question elsewhere, because I have a batch of Candy Cane that stopped fermenting at 1.100.
My room temp. has been 61-62 f for about two months, and my CC batch stopped about a month ago.

Speaking of Lalvin EC 1118, what is the temperature range for this yeast to be active. I posted this question elsewhere, because I have a batch of Candy Cane that stopped fermenting at 1.100.
My room temp. has been 61-62 f for about two months, and my CC batch stopped about a month ago.

61-62F is pretty low, but I believe that EC-1118 will continue fermenting, but probably very slowly.

BTW, if it has stopped at 1.100, what did it start at? Most wines start below 1.100.

Steve

I've had yeast that was 18 months old, and I'm a sprinkler, and never had trouble. I keep it in the fridge.

You really don't need to do a starter with freeze dried yeast, Lalvin rec's it, but I dont think red star does...

http://www.lalvinyeast.com/faq.asp

Red Star Bakers Yeast:
It is not necessary to dissolve the dry yeast before using it. Some bakers like to do this, because it gives the yeast a "good start" - the yeast feeds on the sugar allowing it to become very active

http://www.redstaryeast.com/tips-troubleshooting/frequently-asked-questions

Red Star Wine Yeast (FAQ under condstruction)

http://www.fermentis.com/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back