How long are Oak Chips good for?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildridge

Reaction score
I found a couple bags of oak chips that are 7 years old. Should I use them in the wine or the grill?

Interesting question. I imagine that they would still be good.. However, why risk it? I would use them on the grill.

Really... if you screw up a $130 kit, your $20 savings will seem pretty unwise.

Are the oak chips packages sealed, and are they Toasted or just chips? If the chips are in a sealed container, they should be perfectly fine. The oak flavor and tanic acid should still be good. If the Oak package is not sealed burn them. I have been a custom furniture maker for 35 years, so I know wood. As long as White Oak is not allowed to take on moisture, thus the question on" are the packages sealed", the oak should be just fine.
I have been experimenting with Oak beans that are toasted verses Toasted Oak barrels> very interesting results.

I personally would not risk it - I did the same thing and ended up with 3 carboys of wine that was barely drinkable.
I now add oak to vodka (and let it sit for atleast 3 weeks ) and then add it to the wine - thinking that nothing cane live in vodka and i can add as much or as little as I want to my taste

They're dark toasted chips sealed in manufacturer bags. I opened them and they smell good, but I've decided to use them on the grill. I can always get more if needed. I wish they would've had an expiration date.

Latest posts

Back