How is this tool used? Alcohol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a vinometer. Google that and there are tons of video. In old days was an alternative to a hydrometer.

This "vinometer" is at the thrift store, so I wondered if it was worth buying.
It is not an arm and a leg to buy and looks like you get a thermometer with it. Who knows, you might have better luck with it. The first video is by a guy that I respect as a knowledgeable winemaker and I liked the way he diluted the wine by 50% and then doubled the reading. As I said, I have never used one but they have been around for a long time so someone is using them. Lastly, just how really accurate it is to use a hydrometer and visual readings considering meniscus, temperature, eyesight, etc. and how much of the negatives about the Vinometer is attributable to "operator error?"

😋
I have one ... and fully vouch that it's hard to read and the results are (at best) questionable ...

If the price is low, I agree that the thermometer might be worth it. The vinometer? Put it on a display of useless inventions.

Latest posts

Back