How is my fermentation going?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FABulousWines

Le Vigneron Heureux
Reaction score
This is a Tropical Riesling kit. The only variations I have done from the kit instructions is to add 1/2 of the f-pack in the primary along with 4 cups of sugar. I've been keeping a journal on the progress and here is what I have seen:

May 2: pitched yeast, starting SG 1.085
May 3: Noticed a bit of foam. Gave it a stir. SG still 1.085
May 4: Thick froth on top. Gave it another stir. Noticed signs of fermentation, so put the lid on with airlock. SG still 1.085
May 5: Airlock bubbles every 5 sec. No stir. SG dropped to 1.081
May 6: SG at 1.070. Airlock bubble every 3 sec
May 7: SG at 1.063. Fermentation still noticeably active

I guess I am surprised after 5 days to only be at 1.063. The primary is at about 69F to 71F and the yeast is EC1118. At this rate it is going to take longer than the 5 to 11 days indicated in the instructions. That's OK, I am willing to wait as long as it takes. But is this normal?

You don't need an air lock while the wine is in primary. Just put a cloth towel or paper towel over the air lock hole, so the wine can breath a little. I know it is a white, but it is not going to oxidize in primary with the lid on and no air lock.

During primary, each time you open the lid to check the SG, gently stir the wine from the bottom to the top to get everything loosened up and mixed up. You don't need to open it everyday.

Once in secondary, be sure to apply that air lock.

Thanks Robie. The instructions state to put the lid on with airlock after stirring in the yeast. I didn't do that. I left the lid on loose without airlock those first couple of days until I saw signs of fermentation. That was based on my understanding that yeast needs air to reproduce. Do you think I am slowing down the process with the lid on tight? I've seen others on here who just put a towel over top (without the lid).

Also a bit unclear about how much stirring to do. The instructions don't even mention stirring, but I am kind of adding the wisdom from other wine makers into this process. I shall give it a good gentle stir tonight and see how that goes.

This hobby is teaching me patience.

Yeah, patience isn't my problem. As I said, I will wait as long as it takes. I am more concerned that I may be doing something incorrectly and may end up with a stuck fermentation. Maybe I am just acting like an expectant father, LOL. I will assume a 0.022 drop in SG over 5 days is normal, unless someone tells me different. Just asking.

I guess I am just a worry wart. SG was 1.053 tonight. Gave it a good gentle stir bottom up per Robie's advice.

I air-lock mine about 24 hours after because of fruit flies. They are between 1.000 and 1.020 in about 5 to 8 days. Weather is unseasonably cool here so it took a bit longer. I'd have to find my instructions but I don't think the kits are stirred. I don't anyway. I do stir while doing the 2nd racking as per the instructions. That stirring is generally required in all kits. Just racked the Green Apple to secondary tonight on day 8 and it was at 1.020. I won't have time in a couple more days so I did it sooner than I generally do.

Kits don't often require stirring. You should however stir yours due to the additions you have made, 1/2 the f-pack and sugar. this may also extend your fermentation time. I usually let mine go with just the lid on loose till I am sure the fermentation has slowed. If fruit flies are a problem you may cover your lid with a towel or cloth.

Yeah, patience isn't my problem. As I said, I will wait as long as it takes. I am more concerned that I may be doing something incorrectly and may end up with a stuck fermentation. Maybe I am just acting like an expectant father, LOL. I will assume a 0.022 drop in SG over 5 days is normal, unless someone tells me different. Just asking.

I would say that you are fermenting at the low end of the temp scale. As a result, your fermentation will be slow. This is in keeping with a riesling where you want to retain much of the fruit characteristics of the wine that normally "burn off" during a hot fermentation.

If it truly concerns you, raise the temp a bit (say to 75)

Kits don't often require stirring. You should however stir yours due to the additions you have made, 1/2 the f-pack and sugar. this may also extend your fermentation time. I usually let mine go with just the lid on loose till I am sure the fermentation has slowed. If fruit flies are a problem you may cover your lid with a towel or cloth.

I had my suspicions about that, but as I have done exactly zero of these things, I needed somebody to validate that for me. As a matter of fact, I did remove the airlock and placed the lid on loosely. I haven't see any flies, but I will keep an eye out.

The added extras along with John's point about the lower temp sufficiently explain what I am seeing, so I am content to wait it out. I'd prefer to get a good wine vs. a quick wine. :)

We all have different opinions about things like stirring/not stirring; air lock during primary, no air lock during primary. So I am writing based on my own opinion.

Any primary fermentation of wine, kit or not can benefit from an occasional gentle stir, red or white wine.

One of the reasons for bentonite in a kit is to provide a mechanism for the yeast to stay distributed in the fermenting wine. CO2 gas bubbles up from the bottom, carrying some bentonite particles up with it, then dropping them so they settle back to the bottom again. This circulation causes the yeast to be carried up and around also; sort of as though the yeast cells are hitching a ride on the bentonite particles.

A gentle stir accentuates or benefits this distribution of yeast and insures the yeast don't become buried in the bottom of the fermenter. (What is the main advice given for a stuck fermentation? - Get the temperature where it needs to be and give the wine a good stir)

Whites are more susceptible to oxidation but during a heavy primary fermentation there is so much CO2 being generated that the wine will be protected if the fermenter is occasionally opened and stirred (every other day). Especially for whites, I would at least keep a lid laying loosely over the fermenter to eliminate much free flow of air. It can be snapped down, but an air lock is not necessary. When the SG gets down to about 1.020 or so, it's time to remove and eliminate as much oxygen as possible, thus a sealed container and the air lock are required.

A well stirred primary will be much less likely to get stuck; it will help insure that the fermentation finishes completely dry.

Can one get by without stirring? Of course! Do people make great wine for years without ever stirring it during primary? Of course! There are "things that tend to work" and "best practices". Things that tend to work will get one by in the majority of cases. Best practices will insure fewer problems over the long haul.

Thanks Robie for that detailed post. That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for as I start this journey into home brewing. I am not the sort of person who just wants to follow a list of "rules". Rather, I would like to understand the process and apply the appropriate technique for a given situation. That means getting in and understanding the so-called "science" of brewing. Then, as I apply the "art" of making changes to make the wine my own so to speak, I can make intelligent decisions on how to change the process (the science) to ensure a good wine is produced. I am actually learning quite of bit of this by reading old threads. Takes a lot of time but there are really a lot of nuggets in here if folks will do the work and dig them out!

Based on the activity I saw last night, I am not worried at all. Fermentation is progressing very well. It just got off to a slow start for reasons that have been discussed. I'll give it a stir every other day and transfer to the carboy when it gets between 1.000 and 1.020.

Back