Other How important is it to get off the yeast/lees quickly?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globalnavigator

Reaction score
I've been really bad about transferring from primary to secondary on time, and also about doing the subsequent racking off the fine lees.

How much of a negative effect on the taste do you think I've experienced if I were, say, 1-3 weeks late each time?

I've been really bad about transferring from primary to secondary on time, and also about doing the subsequent racking off the fine lees.

How much of a negative effect on the taste do you think I've experienced if I were, say, 1-3 weeks late each time?

There's risk of oxidation if you go too long before moving from your AF vessel to the carboy. After that, when it's already in glass, under airlock, and sulfited, no big deal.

There's risk of oxidation if you go too long before moving from your AF vessel to the carboy. After that, when it's already in glass, under airlock, and sulfited, no big deal.

How much degradation of the taste from the dead yeast?

There are different opinions about this.

For some, aging sur lee (allowing the wine to sit on the lees) is a preferred technique.

I, myself, try to remove the lees quickly. I will normally wait 1 - 2 weeks after pressing. I find that this is the point where I will have a firm layer of lees and "sort of" clear wine.

Why? Well, IMHO you reduce the risk of (among others) H2S issues by removing the dead or expiring yeast quickly and (if I have H2S issues) I have an early option of a splash racking before the H2S becomes bonded.

I've been accused of being heavy handed with my wine handling, but I'll press as soon as the must hits 0 brix, if not a little before, I'll rack off the gross lees 24 hours, I'll rack as soon as mlf shows complete and then rack again in Jan/Feb, just because I feel it is nearly clear. I think the most important rack is getting off the gross lees, as John said to prevent H2S.
By far, the best way to deal with problems is prevention. Winemaking is so much easier by not having to correct things that go wrong.

In addition to @norcal 's thoughts. Staying ahead of those things means you're constantly paying attention to the wine. It gives you another chance to see any additional minor problems before they have a chance to become bigger problems. I think it's extra important during the first 3 months.
Mike

Latest posts

Back