How I got started with white oak barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarrelMan

BarrelMan
Reaction score
As a young boy I helped both my grandfathers to make moonshine whiskey. My father’s father made whiskey only for friends and family as did everybody on Sand Mountain Alabama even the preacher. My mother’s father made moonshine to sell, he was arrested 3 times. I helped them make whiskey, pick grapes and make wine and brandy. I learned how to make and taste good liquor. I don't remember any of the recipes or much about the process, I was just a boy helping, and the still was very simple just a steel barrel and a wooden barrel and a cooling coil, we could set up by any spring feed creek bank, creek water was clean and delicious back then.

When I first came to Mexico in 1998 I started looking for the best tequila; In 2004 I found it and bought a barrel to age it in. That’s what got me started on wood barrels, aging and selling my own tequila. BarrelMan

Hi Barrelman,

It is illegal to make tequila in the United States, therefore this is a subject that can not be discussed here. Also, if your are here to sell you barrels, you need to contact Wade, our Administration, and inquire how to be become one of our sponsored vendors. As you can see, the vendors who support us have a banner running across our forum.

Last edited:
You cannot Distill (make spirits) in the US

As a young boy I helped both my grandfathers to make moonshine whiskey. My father’s father made whiskey only for friends and family as did everybody on Sand Mountain Alabama even the preacher. My mother’s father made moonshine to sell, he was arrested 3 times. I helped them make whiskey, pick grapes and make wine and brandy. I learned how to make and taste good liquor. I don't remember any of the recipes or much about the process, I was just a boy helping, and the still was very simple just a steel barrel and a wooden barrel and a cooling coil, we could set up by any spring feed creek bank, creek water was clean and delicious back then.

When I first came to Mexico in 1998 I started looking for the best tequila; In 2004 I found it and bought a barrel to age it in. That’s what got me started on wood barrels, aging and selling my own tequila. BarrelMan

BarrelMan, Thanks for sharing your story, I found it quiet interesting. As Julie said it is illegal to distill In the states so we have to limit how involved we get here and certainly we cannot post recipes or process. Since you are in the business to sell barrels you hit the right forum. Please contact Wade about posting a banner. Again thanks for sharing your story.

There are lots of new legal micro distillers springing up all over the US, some are buying 20 and 50 liter barrels from me to speed up the process of aging, instead of using the larger 200 liter barrels and having to wait 5 years to get their investmant back. I am considering advertising on this site but am checking to see if there is enough activity to make it work while.

There are lots of new legal micro distillers springing up all over the US, some are buying 20 and 50 liter barrels from me to speed up the process of aging, instead of using the larger 200 liter barrels and having to wait 5 years to get their investmant back. I am considering advertising on this site but am checking to see if there is enough activity to make it work while.

I doubt it would work here.
Reason is we are home brewers and winemakers. You have to have DEEP pockets and run through hoops to get the proper licenses here in the states.
The ones that can do it legally are commercial places not us.

I'm not entreating anyone to break the law, I was just telling you a story about myself.

I enjoyed the story. Some of us winemakers are getting into purchasing barrells and if you can sell smaller quality barrells you may find some business here.

ok, barrelman, i have to ask...
moonshine...alabama...any of your family in NASCAR?
no laughing anybody, i'm serious!!

These barrels are also for wine and beer making. I myself am interested in his barrels and would be amazed if some of you arent interested in barrels. I know a few of you on here already have barrels. I actually invited Barrelman here to see if he wanted to advertise. Yes, the subject of distilling is illegal so please keep that to another forum. The story is great though and thanks for that. Those small distilleries are permitted only after going through the proper measures and still illegal for you and me.

"moonshine...alabama...any of your family in NASCAR?"

Never heard of Junior Johnson?

I must admit that I am interested in the subject of barrels. Not only would I love to get some, but learn of the process of making them and using them along with proper maintenance.

Welcome aboard Barrelman.

Latest posts

Back