How I convinced my husband to help me foot the bill.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojabri

Frequent Lurker
Reaction score
I am a seriously independent person. I hate asking my husband for cash at all for any reason at all. He is the primary breadwinner and he works HARD! I, on the other hand, work only 2 days per month at $150 per night. My hubby has been gracious enough to rarely ask me for any of my money except for a few times when checks didn't come in on time, as we are self-employed people.

At the beginning of the month, I get our budgeted money for groceries and household supplies. Fortunately, the hubby hasn't realized the money I save on DIYing other household items such as laundry detergent and body wash (*Insert evil laugh here*). Since, I get to use any leftover scratch on whatever I want, I've slipped back to being a really hardcore on shopping sales couponning, and using cash-back apps.

It occurred to me a few days ago that I am saving us A LOT of money just by making our own libations. It only really hit me when my husband was going over our end of month finances/planning out next month and he said that we've got more money stocked back now than we have ever had. This got me thinking.

Why did we have more now than ever even though we haven't had any major changes in business? Then it occurred to me we're not hitting up the liquor store.

Other than Saturday night, HE was the one who bought our drinkies. Last year, I worked at a bar and I always bought something home after my show.

So I asked him nonchalantly, "Hunny, how much did we spend on drinks before I started making our own?" He replies "I dunno, 10 to 15 dollars a day I guess." Okay that sounds reasonable enough I thought. A bottle of wine each, or a nice bottle of bourbon, okay sure, totally makes sense. I reached over my phone and tapped in calculator $12.5x 313 (the average o$ 10-15 dollars per night times 365 days minus 52 Saturdays.) The sum was $3912.50.

We finished our discussion and I started talking about batches I just started up. I said "Oh and one more thing" and showed him the calculator screen on my phone showing "$3912.50"

He looked puzzled for a moment and asked me what it meant. I explained.

So now he has agreed that since he no longer has to foot that bill and that he is enjoying the product of my hobby, he can help me upgrade and buy equipment and supplies. Previously, he helped me indulge my hobby a case of bottles and a hand corker (AKA plastic piece of crap) for Christmas and a Food Saver to assist with degassing.

Looks like this coupon-clipping momma will be upgrading and will be able to drop a bit more cash on nicer equipment (super-giddy about getting an AllInOne and filter setup!) and some kits. Not that I won't continue to make Dragon Blood variations or frozen concentrate wines (I REALLY LOVED the Old Orchard Cherry Pomegranate, and Dragon Blood variants are awesome and so far stand to be general crowd pleasers.)

Gina that is a really significant amount and will go pretty far in upgrades. I still have a hand corker which I can live with because I rarely bottle more than 30 at a time. But my AIO,, that is my gem. It should top your list. (I am not a paid spokesperson for the All in One, but I would be if he offered.) lol.

I already got the Ferrari Italian floor corker. I love it to bits-n-pieces! I don't have the upper body strength to use that plastic piece-of-doo-doo, and my hubby wasn't keen on having to cork with it. The floor model is so easy even my 12 year old son can cork (and he likes it)!

As far as the AIO, I'm really hoping I can order on Monday, maybe Tuesday depending on how fast my bank can post deposits. I've pushed off moving some things until I get it. The auto-siphon was a good step-up from my 1st, but I can only imagine how much easier it can be.

I think a one of my larger priorities at this point is graduating from plastic to glass carboys.

I doubt I'll be asking him to contribute as much as we're actually saving to the cause because we are still in the process of home purchasing. But it's nice to know that he recognizes that this hobby as rewarding as it is for both of us, is actually bettering our financial state.

Maybe I can get him to buy me some cute shoes too???? :)

Ooops. Glad you mentioned plastic carboys. They don't work too well with the AIO. The vacuum will collapse them. You can transfer OUT of one, but not IN to one.
PM Vacuumpumpman, his customer service is great and he will be happy to talk to you about it. He may have a work-around.

Gina,

Your resourcefulness is great, and a good example of how we can all find ways to fund our hobbies if we really want to. Don't forget about the bottling attachment, if the finances allow. It's a fantastic accessory for the AIO.

Gina,

Your resourcefulness is great, and a good example of how we can all find ways to fund our hobbies if we really want to. Don't forget about the bottling attachment, if the finances allow. It's a fantastic accessory for the AIO.

Go big or go home, right? When I order this week, I plan on buying the whole she-bang.

The AIO was a great purchase for me. I also scoured the Craigslist ads and found glass carboys for $7 to $15 per carboy.

I'm REALLY liking that you coupon, have a budget and STILL manage to squeeze in winemaking. Kudo's to you and your hubby!!!

The AIO was a great purchase for me. I also scoured the Craigslist ads and found glass carboys for $7 to $15 per carboy.

I'm REALLY liking that you coupon, have a budget and STILL manage to squeeze in winemaking. Kudo's to you and your hubby!!!

I WISH I could find carboys on Craigslist. It happens so infrequently here and when it does, I seem to never be the first responder when a post does pop up.

I did manage to pick up a 15 gal demijohn for $25. I know that's bargain and I couldn't pass that up. Currently that lil gem is sitting full of blackberry DB.

It may sound harsh that I am allotted a monthly "household budget" for groceries and other home needs but my allotment is pretty substantial. Being as frugal as I can be, I take advantage of sales, coupons, rebates, and DIYs and in some cases, get paid to buy items. My crowning jewel still has to be spending less than $10 per year on laundry detergent, that's less than one bottle of Tide. Strawberry DB at 65 cents per bottle is a darn close second.

If you have the time and planning ability, you can seriously bust grocery and household spending 50% off or better.

It I really went to brass tacks: smart shopping = paying for home wine making hobby = saving money for house down payment = house payments... It payed for a house???? Hrmmmm?????

Perhaps I should lay off the 65 cent Strawberry DB before my math goes all wonky

I got 2 winemaking equipment kits for Christmas. I haven't bought a case of beer yet. Still have one in the fridge I bought before. I did spend a bunch of money at the liquor store trying out different wines. Now I rarely go if ever :)

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I WISH I could find carboys on Craigslist. It happens so infrequently here and when it does, I seem to never be the first responder when a post does pop up.

I did manage to pick up a 15 gal demijohn for $25. I know that's bargain and I couldn't pass that up. Currently that lil gem is sitting full of blackberry DB.

It may sound harsh that I am allotted a monthly "household budget" for groceries and other home needs but my allotment is pretty substantial. Being as frugal as I can be, I take advantage of sales, coupons, rebates, and DIYs and in some cases, get paid to buy items. My crowning jewel still has to be spending less than $10 per year on laundry detergent, that's less than one bottle of Tide. Strawberry DB at 65 cents per bottle is a darn close second.

If you have the time and planning ability, you can seriously bust grocery and household spending 50% off or better.

It I really went to brass tacks: smart shopping = paying for home wine making hobby = saving money for house down payment = house payments... It payed for a house???? Hrmmmm?????

Perhaps I should lay off the 65 cent Strawberry DB before my math goes all wonky

I am SERIOUSLY impressed with how you make a dollar stretch. Make sure to hit the library and grab a Dave Ramsey book "Financial Peace". VERY impressed with your winemaking on a budget. Make sure to visit the local fruit stands at closing time to see if you can grab some of their produce that is over ripe for a great bargain. Your going to use it to make wine or add it to wine like DB anyway....

Dave Ramsey is great. I haven't read his book but his radio show is great

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I am SERIOUSLY impressed with how you make a dollar stretch. Make sure to hit the library and grab a Dave Ramsey book "Financial Peace". VERY impressed with your winemaking on a budget. Make sure to visit the local fruit stands at closing time to see if you can grab some of their produce that is over ripe for a great bargain. Your going to use it to make wine or add it to wine like DB anyway....

Thanks!

I never thought about the fruit stand. We only have one here and the pickin's are slim, but our neighboring city has a very nice one. I'll have to check that out.

I'm all about having financial peace. Early on, I decided that if I couldn't afford it I didn't need it. Hence, I swore off credit cards, which as I understand is much of why people get into debt initially.

I did get a Lowe's card once as a "credit builder" to build a garage but it was paid off immediately at tax time. Considering getting another "credit builder" card if our home application is denied because my credit score. It's not a bad score, but it could be better.

Dave Ramsey has great advice and does not like credit or credit scores. His first step is to have $1,000 in the bank, followed by paying off all your debts except the house and tearing the credit cards up; he calls them the baby steps.

.... tapped in calculator $12.5x 313 (the average o$ 10-15 dollars per night times 365 days minus 52 Saturdays.) The sum was $3912.50.

Not to be a nit picker (it is just the accountant in me), but you need to deduct the cost of ingredients, equipment, corks, etc that you have spent so far.

Still, you sure can save a lot by making it yourself and also legally cheat the government out of some tax dollars to boot.

I get what you're saying, but I do whatever I please with the money I make. Which is not much, $100 - $150 a night, 1-2 nights per month. It easily covers equipment, ingredients, etc.

My income isn't factored into our regular budget as I'm free to do with it whatever I wish.

Latest posts

Back