How honest are you when you taste other people’s wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a great group of winemaking buddies @4score and @Busabill are active members here. We collaborate at times and other times not.

I think we are pretty honest (my wife says I’m too honest) with our reviews. I have a 60 gallon barrel of low brix Cabernet Sauvignon from grapes in 2017. I’m still struggling with how it tastes, so I gave @4score a sample to taste. He gave me the following video review.

Not sure what a "workable" wine is, but it sounds like he liked it in the end, but didn't want to give away too many compliments to a friend! So good job. Sounds like you can drink this wine no problem. And even if just OK, there's always "Tuesday" night wine (wife and my inside joke). I'll bet it was good.

Regarding "low brix", how low is low? How do you think this wine is coming along?

In the end, I'd be happy making wine I can drink every day.

We bought 2 tons of Cabernet Sauvignon grapes for our collective. We were told they were 25 brix, they ended up being 23.5. The taste profile hasn’t been to my liking. I’ve blended 10 gallons of Cab Franc, 5 gallons of Petite Syrah and 2.5 gallons of Petit Verdot in an effort to blend the vegetal taste out. I think I’m 70% the way there. I made more CF, PS and PV this year, so I’d have it to do further blending, which I agree with @4score is necessary.

I think being honest helps someone improve. Spare the feelings of others. So be honest. I have made some really terrible wine, and I wish people would be more honest as the feedback is essential so I can know how to improve.

Of course I can also always reject other's opinion as not relevant, which is also fine, since different people have different preferences for wines and wine styles (for example, I would never back sweeten -- ick --- I do not like sweet wine but those that do may not like my wine). So, best to find and seek out the opinions of those that "know" and appreciate the type of wine you want to make.

I think we are pretty honest (my wife says I’m too honest) with our reviews. I have a 60 gallon barrel of low brix Cabernet Sauvignon from grapes in 2017. I’m still struggling with how it tastes, so I gave @4score a sample to taste. He gave me the following video review.

[/QUOTE]
I have a great group of winemaking buddies @4score and @Busabill are active members here. We collaborate at times and other times not.

Honest??? I'm usually brutally honest to the point where it often gets me in trouble. You ask me a question or ask for my opinion, you need to be prepared for an honest answer and not a wishy-washy response that's designed to avoid offending you. That's probably why my wife no longer asks me how I like her new coat, dress, hairdo, etc. :)

I haven't tried a lot of wines made by other home winemakers mostly commercial wines, but I try to be as honest as I can. I never really enjoy saying a wine is not good but if it's not then I feel that critiquing and telling the winemaker what I did not like might help to make a better product.

I tend to take what friends & family say (they are always complimentary) about my wine with a grain of salt. In an effort to get an unbiased evaluation I entered some of mine in a wine competition. Based on the white ribbons I received, let's just say I didn't exactly knock the judges socks off. The takeaway for me was that my wine lacks something. But what? There was no feedback as to what it was. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where you can go to get an educated and unbiased evaluation of what it would take to elevate your wine's quality to the next level?

I tend to take what friends & family say (they are always complimentary) about my wine with a grain of salt. In an effort to get an unbiased evaluation I entered some of mine in a wine competition. Based on the white ribbons I received, let's just say I didn't exactly knock the judges socks off. The takeaway for me was that my wine lacks something. But what? There was no feedback as to what it was. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where you can go to get an educated and unbiased evaluation of what it would take to elevate your wine's quality to the next level?

The guys in NJ have done a white/blush/fruit and a big/bold red wine competition. The part I like best - you get the judges’ tasting notes.

Questions: What do you think of your wine? Does it taste the way you want it? If not, what’s missing?

(I’d create a new thread with your answers to these questions and be amazed at the help you get from the experienced winemakers here)

Being honest with a taste profile on someone else's wine or your own isn't easy,
However being honest is the only true way with tact to convey your oppion and suggestions
On the other hand competition is another way to get good response with written feedback.
Now if you can take that feedback and apply it too your process, that's is what makes a amateur wine maker into a decent vintner .
Always remember wine making is all about subjectiveness nothing more.

Back