How do you store unrooted vine cuttings over winter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark g

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,
I have just been given some unrooted grape vine cuttings which I intend to plant next spring. They had to be taken now since prunning is just starting in the UK. These unrooted cuttings are just short lengths (4 nodes long) of this last years rods. I have had 2 different lots of advice from friends on how to store these over winter and so I'm not sure which advice to follow since both friends have years and years of experience. One tells me to bury the bundles of cuttings in damp sharp sand and put in the garage until needed next march / april (in the UK). The other tells me to simply put the bundles on a shelf in the shed until spring. It's entirely possible that the two lots of advice are equally valid? What do other people do please?

I usually wrap in damp cloth place in plastic bag and put in refrigerator or cold place below 50degF. You want to keep the cutting from drying out and cold so they do not begin to bud.

Back