How do you store clean bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saran Wrap & rubber bands

After cleaning and sterilizing I store mine with a small bit of saran wrap over the top and a rubber band around the neck, it works for me, I only have a couple cases to deal with at a time though... I just pop it off and give a quick rinse with sterilizer right before bottling.

Jon, when you splash with k-meta before bottling, you do not rinse them with water any more, correct? you just put them on the bottle tree for a while and star bottling, right?
Thanks
Once i have cleaned them and they have dried on the bottle tree - right or wrong - i will put a cork about a quarter the way in and stand them up right. Then when it comes time to bottle - i will scrub with one step cleaner - dry on bottle tree and and splash with k-meta before bottling.

It gets pricey, but I usually just buy bottles. I don't have the patience to scrub or scrape! I justify it with the fact that most of the wines I try aren't very expensive to make!

It gets pricey, but I usually just buy bottles. I don't have the patience to scrub or scrape! I justify it with the fact that most of the wines I try aren't very expensive to make!

Not a bad idea. Sometimes I get very tired of scraping labels. Just make sure you still wash them and sanitize the insides.

didn't finished reading the rest of the posts here, lol, but what i usually do is clean the heck out of them get a cup fill with water, toss a little bleach into it, stir it up, pour a smidgeon into each bottle, shake it up, let sit for about an hour, give them another final good shake, dump, rinse out with hot water until no more smell inside, then dry off the outside shake any excess water inside and then stuff a hefty size piece of paper towel into the top of it and keep the bottles all together on my bottle shelf. When im ready to use them, i just, pull them out as needed, pull out the paper towel, give them a final double rinse in hot water and its good to go

didn't finished reading the rest of the posts here, lol, but what i usually do is clean the heck out of them get a cup fill with water, toss a little bleach into it, stir it up, pour a smidgeon into each bottle, shake it up, let sit for about an hour, give them another final good shake, dump, rinse out with hot water until no more smell inside, then dry off the outside shake any excess water inside and then stuff a hefty size piece of paper towel into the top of it and keep the bottles all together on my bottle shelf. When im ready to use them, i just, pull them out as needed, pull out the paper towel, give them a final double rinse in hot water and its good to go

That'll work.

Just make sure no trace whatsoever of the bleach gets into the finished, corked bottle of wine. Chlorine in even very tiny amounts can bring on cork taint and ruin your wine. To be safe, it's best to avoid chlorine-anything all together.

That'll work.

Just make sure no trace whatsoever of the bleach gets into the finished, corked bottle of wine. Chlorine in even very tiny amounts can bring on cork taint and ruin your wine. To be safe, it's best to avoid chlorine-anything all together.

Aye, lol, always done it like that, hasn't failed yet : D just have to make sure its rinsed enough with hot water :ib

One of these days you might just get burned using chlorine bleach. There is absolutely no reason to use chlorine bleach when there are better cleaners on the market that don't contain chlorine like "Oxyclean" or the generic equivalents.

Here is a little article about Chlorine Use in the Winery from Purdue University.

Yeah id def stay away from bleach, i personally use oxy clean and then store upside down in my cases. when im ready to use them i usually will give the a quick rinse and hit the inside with the bottle blaster and then a spray of kmeta then bottle. It actually goes really quick.

Back