How do you serve you vinos?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Before enjoying your vino, do you typically:

• Decant it

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Aerate it

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Straight pour it

Votes: 22 75.9%

• Total voters
Whites and country wines, I pour. Reds I usually aerate, although for dinners where the bottle will be finished, I decant
Similar.

The poll is very flawed since it does not consider that different wines, in different situations, should (need to?) be served differently.

Truth be told...I meant it for Reds only...but in my haste omitted that & then got busy & didn't update things :-/

But even with reds the answer for me depends. A slightly sweeter red gets chilled a bit. The heavy reds decanted, the pinots get poured, zins get aeration. And those are just examples.

Truth be told...I meant it for Reds only...but in my haste omitted that & then got busy & didn't update things :-/
Making up polls is often harder than folks realize. But no harm, no foul. Start a new poll.

If you want a tough poll, try "what temperature at which do you serve red wines?" 🤣

I straight pour cause I'm lazy, it annoys my wife who always says " it needs to breath".

She's right, like always ; )

She did buy me a special Spanish decanter that I think is really nice and I will use it for a fancy dinner....

I'm not a huge believer in aerators. I think they make a difference but not much more than swirling wine in a glass and letting it breathe for a few minutes. I normally decant all RED wines unless I'm not going to finish 75% of the bottle. IME, decanting can turn an OK wine into a great wine.

I'm not a huge believer in aerators. I think they make a difference but not much more than swirling wine in a glass and letting it breathe for a few minutes. I normally decant all RED wines unless I'm not going to finish 75% of the bottle. IME, decanting can turn an OK wine into a great wine.
Aeration / breathing depends on the wine. For many it doesn't make much difference, while for some the change is magical. I've served a pre- and post-aerated wine and those tasting it didn't believe it was the same wine. Generally speaking, I find the post-aeration wines to have softer tannin and stronger fruit. While decanting may be a better choice, aeration works for by-the-glass, and this is good even for young reds.

Try pouring a half glass, adding the aerator and pouring another half glass, and compare them across a half dozen wines.

Aeration / breathing depends on the wine. For many it doesn't make much difference, while for some the change is magical. I've served a pre- and post-aerated wine and those tasting it didn't believe it was the same wine. Generally speaking, I find the post-aeration wines to have softer tannin and stronger fruit. While decanting may be a better choice, aeration works for by-the-glass, and this is good even for young reds.

Try pouring a half glass, adding the aerator and pouring another half glass, and compare them across a half dozen wines.

I don't disagree. I've done numerous taste tests over the years with aerated vs non-aerated wine and I agree that it typically makes a difference. Because of that, I used to aerator everything and thought that it did what decanting does- just faster. Since I started decanting, I've come to believe that the time component is also a part of the puzzle that an aerator doesn't provide unless you leave the wine sitting in the glass breathing. I don't think it's just adding air as much as it's allowing the wine to breathe, rest and blossom into what it should be. IMO air is just part of the equation and time plays a factor. I like decanting because the wine is blooming as a whole in a semi controlled environment. It also doesn't warm as fast as it does sitting in a glass. To me, decanting is superior. But this is just my .02.

What I should buy is a vacuum pump system for saving opened wine. We received one as a wedding gift 13 yrs ago but it was a POS. I'm sure the technology has gotten better.

What I should buy is a vacuum pump system for saving opened wine. We received one as a wedding gift 13 yrs ago but it was a POS. I'm sure the technology has gotten better.
I use a vaccuvin I purchased in 1988 ... the 4 corks that came with it still hold pressure. Are we talking about the same type of unit?

Probably something similar but not sure of the brand we had. The pump didn't seem to work well.

I also decant 1/2 bottles and put the remaining in the fridge so it's not exposed. I find this works OK to split a bottle into two days/servings.

I also decant 1/2 bottles and put the remaining in the fridge so it's not exposed. I find this works OK to split a bottle into two days/servings.
I keep screw cap split bottles for that purpose! They also prevent me from finishing the bottle ....

Target sells the Vaccuvin with 1 stopper for $13 USD. You can get the same unit with 2 stoppers for $30 else where. My stoppers look a bit different, but are essentially the same, and the pump looks the same. It's surprising a 34 year old unit still works fine.

https://www.target.com/p/vacu-vin-wine-saver-with-stopper-black/-/A-80649974

Latest posts

Back