How do you prep your corks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep mine in a 5 gallon corkadore. Wine bottle filled with kmeta in the center and filled with corks and sealed with a lid. When it’s time to use I take out as many as I need and place them in a colander and a quick spray with kmeta before corking.

Maybe the question should be is how many have had cork issues?

Maybe the question should be is how many have had cork issues?
The only problem I’ve had is when I insert a number 9 cork into a bottle designed for a number 8. Goes in easy but is a pain to get out sometimes. Already broke my favorite corkscrew on one bottle.

Ive never sanitized natural corks because ive never felt a reason to. If they are in a bag i would assume they are fine.

My LHBS goes through corks a a very high rate so they are always fresh, they give me 100 or so when I ask and I immediately put them into zipock bags (30 per bag), I generally use them within few months and just bang them in dry.

My LHBS goes through corks a a very high rate so they are always fresh, they give me 100 or so when I ask and I immediately put them into zipock bags (30 per bag), I generally use them within few months and just bang them in dry.
What corks do you use? If it's a short lifespan wine I use DIAM 5 which are rated max 5 years no failure.

And for wines I want to agree I use natural cork as it lasts forever.

Well, I really am a rookie... what is k meta?

Never mind, found it on another post. For any others that might be wondering.
K-meta is slang for potassium metabisulfide (same chem in Campden tablets, I believe. Or are they sodium metabisulfite?)

Last edited:
Well, I really am a rookie... what is k meta?

Never mind, found it on another post. For any others that might be wondering.
K-meta is slang for potassium metabisulfide (same chem in Camden tablets, I believe. Or are they sodium metabisulfite?)
Campden tablets can be either Na (Sodium) or K (Potassium) metabisulphite. Most suggest using Na meets only for sanitizing solution, to avoid adding additional sodium to your wine.

Latest posts

Back