How do you make wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you primarily make wine?

• Standard Wine Kits (Winxpert, RJS, Mosti)

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • Grape Juice Bucket Kits

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Fruit Juice Bucket Kits (Not Grapes)

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Fresh Grapes

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • Fresh Fruit (Not Grapes)

Votes: 41 22.7%
  • Grape Juice Concentrates

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Fruit Juice Concentrates (Not Grapes)

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Frozen Grapes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Frozen Fruit (Not Grapes)

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Honey

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

TxBrew

Reaction score
Doing a little industry polling for people to understand where the current market is.

While I know a lot of us have probably done a lot, if not all, please vote on the method you use primarily to make wine (as of recent).

Also sharing any insight into that method/kit would be helpful like why you ended up focusing on that ingredient method.

I answered Kits but fruit wines are a VERY close second. I've also have and plan to do more bucket wine (bucket wine kit?). Wish you had asked how I didn't make wine then the answer would have been - Fresh Grapes!

Added a couple more options.

Maybe first we should discuss the options and I reset the poll?

Does the setup I have now properly cover all aspects?

Maybe an "All of the above"??

And/or the ability to choose more than one.

Yep. Currently two are correct, (kits and fruit) but I plan on changing that as soon as fresh grapes come in.

Not a kit man.

Fresh, or dried ingredients and or juices.

I think you want us to be able to provide more than one option AND to have another block that enables us to add something that you have not thought about (honey varietals, for example, for mead)..

Pretty standard

I've mostly used the kits but on occasion have used the buckets. I really have not had as much success with the buckets but then again that may have more to do with the varietal I've made.
I do much prefer the kits that include the grape skins. It gives a more authentic taste and smell. My favorite has been Amarone. I have made about 7.5 cases and has all been very good. A close second would blends like Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon/Franc/Merlot.
Have not had much luck with whites. Would like to make a nice Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Gris any suggestions?

I use fresh grapes only because I have 10 vines that are generous to give me about 160 pounds of grapes every year. But I have to admit that the best tasting wines I have ever produced were from wine kits.
I live in the north west and our growing season here is short. So my grapes don't get really mature. But my friends love my home made wine. So it's very drinkable.

checking off more than one option would be good. We do fresh grapes, cider from fresh orchard juice, dabble in other fruit wines...

Perhaps cider and mead should be their own options...

Kits and fresh fruits

Depending on the time of the year I either do kits or fresh fruit. Living in Pennsylvania we don't have fresh fruit year round

Primarily I use fresh grapes, but also fresh fruit (especially berries). I used to make wine out of juices and concentrates, but I figured I might as well go entirely "from scratch" if I am already using more than half of the time and equipment with juices as with fresh fruit.

I chose Standard Wine Kits, as I've only been in the hobby for a year and that was the simplest route for a beginner. The ingredients and instructions are conveniently packaged, and I don't have to worry about pH or the quality of the juice or any of the additives. Small changes, like trying different strains of yeast or varying the amounts of oak, are simple and relatively low-risk. There's a wide variety of kits available at different price ranges, so I can make (and have made...) several different varieties to learn what I do and don't like.

I'm thinking of expanding into juice buckets later this year, since I'm now more comfortable with the process.

Latest posts

Back