How do you check the Specific Gravity?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
I know, with a hydrometer...but that's not really my question.

What I mean is, how do you take the sample, and what do you do with the sample afterwards?

I don't have a wine thief, so what I do is sanitize the little plastic tube that my hydrometer came in, and just dip it down into my fermenting vessel until it's about 1/2 way full, and check it in there.

Just wondering, should I use a siphon hose instead? (it just seams safer if I was to use a siphon hose, because less foreign material would be dipped down into the wine). After taking the sample, do you pour it back in, or just drink it?

Am I too paranoid about contamination?

While the wine is still in the primary I just put the hydrometer directly in the must, sanitized of course. You may want to invest in a wine thief, that plastic tube is not going to work very well once the wine goes into a carboy.
I'll rarely taste the must unless I am working with oak or spices.
VC

OK, OK, I'll get a wine thief.

Do you typically dump the sample back in, or discard it?

When I am not tasting it I dump it back in. When I am checking for aroma and taste I'll pour a bit into another glass and dump the rest back in.
VC

Being the chemist by trade I prefer to use one of these!
smiley36.gif

20090928_083309_classA_graduate.jpg

Filled to the 100ml mark is just right for SG at (or below) 1.000

My wife is a chemist also, in R&D, she probably has those at work! But how do you fill that thing??

Turkey baster (new for wine only) works great!

Allen Brown said:
My wife is a chemist also, in R&D, she probably has those at work!  But how do you fill that thing??

You can get a wine theif for only a few dollars.

You can even use a turkey baster if need be.

I actually just put the hydrometer right in the carboy and then use a racking hose and suck it up.

ibglowin said:
Being the chemist by trade I prefer to use one of these!
smiley36.gif

20090928_083309_classA_graduate.jpg

Filled to the 100ml mark is just right for SG at (or below) 1.000

I use those when mixing my photochemicals.
Perhaps I'll order one for wine testing. Or get a big old mason jar. :)
A wine thief is pretty much necessary when you are working from a carboy.

OK, I went cheaper than a wine thief, and got a big turkey baster. It actually works pretty well in getting the wine from the glass carboy!

Good Point Mike, turkey goes much better with a Riesling than a Cabernet!

When my wine was getting close, I left the hydrometer floating in the carboy. I would push with something sanitized and have to wait till the numbers spun around but... seemed to work for daily monitoring without re-sanitizing.

Latest posts

Back