How do you buy your grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesGrape

Reaction score
This is probably a question that is specific to individual style. Do you first decide what wine you want to make, then shop for the proper variety - only then with consideration for finding the best specs like brix, ta, etc? Or are the specs less important because you can adjust them after receiving?

Or do you shop for the best available grapes perhaps even considering the history of the wines made from those vineyards in seasons past? Then make the best wine you can from the variety you receive?

Or are you perhaps watching weather patterns predicting which regions can be expected to have great product, and then placing orders in advance?

Some other strategy? (Or am I overthinking this?)

For me, I don't have many options. I opt for the best available grapes. There may be 2 or 3 choices and they are more like a tier. In a perfect world I would be able to go to my supplier and check the brix etc.... but that option really doesn't exist. Normally I have to more expensive grapes, less expensive grapes and juice buckets.

I'd say both are valid approaches, and I'd wager that people sometimes do one, and sometimes the other approach. Fresh vs. frozen vs. juice buckets plays a big role. I can get fresh grapes with my local winemaking club, who makes a group purchase. There, we all are "forced" to get the same variety. We vote on which variety ahead of the season, then shop for those grapes with our supplier. The supplier can also get us white juice buckets of a wider variety.
If making wine from juice or frozen must, I tend to decide on the variety first, then shop for best quality (since there are multiple suppliers).

I would say it really depends on the grape availability in your area and how much you are looking to buy.

For smaller quantities, often your local homebrew store will coordinate with a grower or two to supply fresh grapes in the fall. Your choices are simply which varietal you want. The decision to pick in this case is made by the grower, based on their experience, weather and labor availability.

If you are looking for at least a ton of grapes, then a vineyard may possibly be willing to work with you but they typically will be picking on their schedule unless you can work out (and pay more) to pick at a different time. Often, but not always, the grower knows when is the best time to pick. But that depends on the style of wine you intend to make.

Last year I bought 6 tons from several growers and it simply depends on the vineyard. Some have been willing to pick when I wanted the grapes while others only give me short notice of a few days for when they will be ready. Some delivered for a fee and others required me to pick them up.

Latest posts

Back