How do U Sweeten/Flavor kit wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineomaker

Reaction score
How do you Sweeten or Flavor a kit wine, I have seen on here that you can add 100% juice to wine to sweeten or add flavor to wine, how is this done to kit wines, I have a 6 gallon Riesling kit clearing and would like to make a gallon 0r 2 different I was thinking a Peach Mango or Wild Cherry or Cranberry Apple, and don't know how to do this, or if I can do it to a kit.
Also i read on here adding a wine conditioner/sweetener gives the wine an off taste, i have bought 2 bottles and would rather dump them, then take a chance of ruining my wine,
thanks for any info.
Jim

Ferment dry, K-meta and sorbate, wait awhile backsweeten and F-pack. Search for the last two and you'll find good info!

If you plan on adding one of those you listed here is what I would do.

1st make sure you added the prober amt od k-meta and sorbate
Wait a week or 2
Simmer by 1/2 or more the juice you want to add. Reason isto get the water out.
For 2 gal A 96oz bottle juice is ok (then simmer)
Cool and add and mix well.
TASTE ! It should be sweet enough so I would not back sweeten
Wait and make sure fermentation didnt restart.
Add clairifier

Another method for sweetening is to save some of the original juice from the kit and add it back at stabilization - usually 1 or 2 cups is used, depending on how sweet you want it.

I sweetened 3 gallons of Riesling (from Juice) with 64 ounces of Peach Mango 100% juice by simmering down to half (@32 oz.) then blending, adding sorbate and sulfite.

It wound up at 1.014 and was sensational.

I sweetened 3 gallons of Riesling (from Juice) with 64 ounces of Peach Mango 100% juice by simmering down to half (@32 oz.) then blending, adding sorbate and sulfite.

It wound up at 1.014 and was sensational.

Thanks for the info everyone, The sorbate and sulfite has already been added, should I add more after I add the juice, also the wine is still not clear the top 3 inches are clear then there is a haze under that, a flashlight will shine thru it ok, that haze has me worried. Should I wait to sweeten after its clear or should this be done now,

Thanks for the info everyone, The sorbate and sulfite has already been added, should I add more after I add the juice, also the wine is still not clear the top 3 inches are clear then there is a haze under that, a flashlight will shine thru it ok, that haze has me worried. Should I wait to sweeten after its clear or should this be done now,

You shouldn't need to add more after the juice. I would sweeten, then clear. As for the haze, if you haven't used finings it could just be sediment and I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

I would have added the meta and sorbate before f-pac and sweetener

OK now the wife and I are having a lot of fun, on our first batch, the wine is clear and we are doing taste test on my 6 gallon Riesling kit, we did peach grape juice, peach mango grape juice, straight Riesling, sweetened with sugar, sugar and mango, sweetened with wine conditioner, wine conditioner with mango, we like the #1.Peach Mango with conditioner is awesome, #2.Then sweetened with conditioner I like it sweet, #3.Straight Riesling and hope it will mellow out after aging.
My question is can i go ahead and filter then bottle the #3, then sweeten and bottle #1 and#2 right away, or should this sit after adding conditioner to make sure re-fermentation doesn't start up,

I think you are rushing to bottle. When did you start this?

BTW I would have used simple syrup to sweeten.

Wine conditioner leaves a cough medicine aftertaste compared to simple syrup. One month is way to early to bottle juice wines.

Thanks Tom, I tried to make a syrup with sugar and water but when it cooled it crystallized on me, so i bought the conditioner and tried that instead, what is the correct way to make a syrup,

One month is way to early to bottle juice wines.
Tom..it's a riesling kit. I 'm VERY unlikely to bottle at one month, but that's what the instructions recommend.

Steve

Thanks Tom, I tried to make a syrup with sugar and water but when it cooled it crystallized on me, so i bought the conditioner and tried that instead, what is the correct way to make a syrup,
2 parts of sugar to 1 part water.
Heat water so you see some bubbles form and add sugar. Using a whisk stirr over heat till clear. Do not boil.

2 parts of sugar to 1 part water.
Heat water so you see some bubbles form and add sugar. Using a whisk stirr over heat till clear. Do not boil.

I didn't know that about not boiling - what does boiling do to it?

I would not as that is a swweet wine. Then again if thats what YOU like .. go for it.
Juct dont enter it in competition.

I didn't know that about not boiling - what does boiling do to it?

I add my sugar just before or as the water starts boiling. I stir the sugar in until clear. I do not let the water boil after I start adding sugar as that could cause it to crystalize. As soon as the sugar is melted I shut off the heat and continue to stir until clear.

Back