How do I taste my wine while it’s fermenting?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy24

Junior
Reaction score
If I remove the lid and pour some into a glass does that allow to much oxygen in to the fermenting wine? Or is oxygen only a problem if it’s exposed for a long period of time?

It's called a "wine thief" for a reason!

But, no, the amount of oxygen exposure during the time needed to fetch a sample won't ruin your wine. As you intimate in your last sentence, the damage happens over weeks of exposure.

It's called a "wine thief" for a reason!

But, no, the amount of oxygen exposure during the time needed to fetch a sample won't ruin your wine. As you intimate in your last sentence, the damage happens over weeks of exposure.

Thank you!! I tried it and was really surprised it’s been going for two weeks but it wasn’t strong. It tasted amazing! It’s just the “cheap wine” with frozen grape juice and bread yeast but wasn’t expecting it to taste so normal...

I have a narrow glass wine thief I've had a long time -- it's good for taking small tastings sample.

I also have a Fermex wine thief that is large enough to hold a hydrometer. I keep it well cleaned and sanitize it (inside and out) and the hydrometer before each use. You can check the SG and return the the sample to the carboy with very minimal air contact.

Latest posts

Back