How do i know if my yeast is working?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gooseybamp

Junior
Reaction score
First time making wine. How can i know if my yeast is working or not? It has been 20 hours since i started it. I followed the instructions from the kit. But im just wondering should there be more bubbles or what should i see? Also my lid for my primary fermentor doesnt have a hole for an air lock so i can’t see bubles feom that. so i am just leaving the lid loose on the bucket. Room temperature is at 22 degree celcius and the yeast was just sprinkles on top of the must as per kit directives. Also should i be mixing the must every day or not?

Attachments

• AFF0A6C2-A32A-435B-AF6A-ECD0EF4E7BFB.jpeg
    AFF0A6C2-A32A-435B-AF6A-ECD0EF4E7BFB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 18
While there are outward signs of fermentation, the best way to confirm it is by taking readings with your hydrometer. If the SG / BRIX is dropping, fermentation is underway and progressing.

First time making wine. How can i know if my yeast is working or not? It has been 20 hours since i started it. I followed the instructions from the kit. But im just wondering should there be more bubbles or what should i see? Also my lid for my primary fermentor doesnt have a hole for an air lock so i can’t see bubles feom that. so i am just leaving the lid loose on the bucket. Room temperature is at 22 degree celcius and the yeast was just sprinkles on top of the must as per kit directives. Also should i be mixing the must every day or not?

And to put your mind at ease a bit: You likely won't see "lift-off" for 24 to 48 hours. But I think I see bubble in that photo. If so, you are doing fine.

While there are outward signs of fermentation, the best way to confirm it is by taking readings with your hydrometer. If the SG / BRIX is dropping, fermentation is underway and progressing.
I checked it this morning 12 hours after i didn’t noticed any difference but i will check it again tomorrow

um your in the early ferment yes?, i'd take that lid off, stir it to get as much oxygen into it as you can, you stir the heck outta it once to twice a day, between stirrings keep a towel over your bucket, keep a reading on you must till she's down to around .998,, then rack to your secondary, carboy or gallon jugs, anything that you have bungs for with airlocks, best of luck
Dawg

Yes i am in the early stage; 60hours now. I ‘ll give a try to stirring and the towel. Thx

Back