How do I get rid of the overdose?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbiek

barbiek
Reaction score
I don't know what I was thinking but I wasn't thinking at all! I kept adding the sorbate each time to skeeter pee 24 hrs before sweetening it. Fyi I sweetened it 3 times sweetened it a lil at a time over the past 6 mos please tell me I can disperse of it by stirring it? Just so you know I don't have any of the so2 or acid test equipment yes I know, I know but let's not go there please! :) By the looks of my unruly notes taken I might have jotted down adding sorbate instead of the k meta I added because I know I added meta but there is none in my notes. I'll give it a taste tomorrow was cold storing it now it's gradually warming to room temp my question is can it still be ok later down the road by stirring the heck out of it then return it to the cold or keep it warm a lil returning to stir? Thanks to all I really would appreciate any input at all to this situation

How would stirring get rid of sorbate? Does it taste funny? Did it all dissolve or do you have some chunks floating around that can be filtered off? WVMJ

your kinda out of luck. sorbate does not dissipate out. could make 3 more batches and blend them. Up side to that is look at all the pee you would have to drink

Chances are you are OK and just added k-meta instead of sorbate. If that is the case hopefully you added at least one dose of the sorbate. Sorbate does not dissipate and will stay in there. For SP just let it clear, bottle and drink up. Begin keeping better notes.

To WVMountainerJack I didn't think so, was just grasping at straws! and it all has dissolved. No problem with chunks!

To mmadmikes1 I was afraid of that! Good thing I had only made 3 gallons to start with

To Grapeman you are more optimistic and I thank you for that and happy to report I must have added k meta cuz simple shake test shows that there is CO2 present needs plenty of degassing! Thanks to all for the replys and input!

Last edited:
Remember the recommendation for sorbate is generally 1/2 tsp per gallon of wine, or 1/2 tsp per cup of sugar added to sweeten. if you added sorbate with the thought od Potassium Metabisulphite on your mind you would add 1/4 tsp per 6 gal. so at that you would still be well below normal levels. give it a taste, if it does not taste like bubblegum then your good to go. My bet is you will be fine. If you added 3 or 4 teaspoons each time you may have a problem. good luck. And let us know what transpires

Happy to let ya all know, no bubblegum taste! :r Just read the directions on the sorbate bottle and Bergman you are right for the recommendations so I came to the conclusion that I added the correct amount of sorbate and the other 2 additions I have in my notes are actually k meta lesson learned on notes!:slp
Thanks again
Barbie

I think I would bottle this in bottles that are made to take pressure as a just in case. Just in case it decides to referment. If it does, you should be safe, if it doesn't you are still good to go. Good luck with it, Arne.

Latest posts

Back