How do I filter when racking?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxeye

Reaction score
Of all the books and threads I've read, I've yet to see any concern expressed about carrying the lees from one container over to the next container while syphoning.

For instance, if I want to re-pitch on the same cake, how wet (how much of the original wine) should the bottom be?

When the auto-syphon intake is close to the cake, in order to rack as much of the must as possible, how do you keep the lees from traveling to the next fermenter, and then of course, on into the bottle, when it's time to bottle?

oxeye

To get out as much as possible without sucking up the lees try tilting in order to maximize the wine over the lees. Watch closely and when you see sediment coming close to the siphon stop. Transfer the sediment into a smaller container to settle and you'll be able to get more of the wine out this way.

After 2 or 3 rackings you should be able to nearly all of remaining fine lees out of the wine. It is extremely important to get your wine off the gross lees (the sediment that drops after the primary fermention) within a few days but no more than a week as they contain many dead yeast cells and other things that can start to spoil wine. Someone once suggested placing a piece of 2x4 under the front of the carboy to give you a hands free way of tiliting the carboy. I do this all the time now; I can kick myself for always trying to hold the carboy at an angle while siphoning only to find that I have jerked the carboy enough to stir up some of the lees.

Latest posts

Back