How did you survive the snow storm?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tell you, two days does not seem to meet my weekend time requirements!

On Friday, we had dinner at my Aunts house. She was hosting my second cousin, once removed, Eni, who visiting from Hungary. What a difference time makes! The last time I saw her, she was this little bitty 4 year old that loved to have me pick her up and hold her. Now she is a beautiful 21 year old!

After dinner, we hit the all night grocery to get provisions. The snow storm was expected, so I wanted everything I needed for my Saturday/Sunday meals. Got home around 11pm.

On Saturday, we had the first snow of the season. It was kind of nice. The Mrs and I simply hunkered down and I settled into a day of cooking. I made a nice pot of sauce (5 hours) and 2 big trays of chicken parm! Was yummy. We went though a bottle of my 2015 montepulciano and a bottle of my 2014 Chilean cab. I say again, yummy!

After dinner, we lit a fire in the fire place, then settled down to watch Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. A classic, and NO, you are never to old to watch it.

All in all, we got about 3 inches of very light, fluffy stuff.

I really love snow days!

one.jpg nine.jpg five.jpg

Last edited:
We ended up with about 3 inches as well - much of which was gone by last night. The kids still had two good afternoons of playing out in it though.

Started my day early by bringing the 'main' tree up and setting it up. This is a tree I've had for 13 or 14 years now (since before I met my wife). It was pre-lit, but so many of the lights are shot now that I just string it up with my own lights each year. It was an absolute steal when I bought it and I can't bring myself to get rid of it. The shape and fullness of it are perfect, and it looks so real. Later in the morning, with snow falling steadily, we took a walk around the neighborhood over to where our HOA had brought in a horse and carriage for 'holiday hay rides'. We ate cookies, drank hot chocolate and took a spin around the neighborhood, courtesy of two beautiful quarterhorses. A very festive treat. After getting home and having lunch, we decorated the tree, and set up the 'other tree' (my wife's, which she had before we met). This is a slightly smaller tree that fits nicely in a corner of our foyer. Got that decorated as well. As the snow started to taper off, we met some friends out at a local brewery where we sat outside in an 'igloo' enjoying food drinks and laughs (pics in the "What R you doing today?" thread). All in all, a great way to spend a day full of wintry weather.

I didn't leave the house and kept busy.

• Racked my Super Tuscan, Amarone, and Cherry Chocolate Walnut wine
  • Took one bottle of the Cherry wine and added a bottle of cherry brandy to test my first Port wine. (Cherry Chocolate Walnut Port)
  • Picked out, customized, and ordered four different wine labels for the wines listed above.
  • Ironed two weeks worth of my works close. (didn't get to iron the previous weekend)
  • Worked on a friends PC that he was having trouble with. (his Plex server)
  • Start work on creating my own Plex server on a KVM virtual server I created out of my old desktop)
  • Watched kids sled down a huge hill across the street from my house from the balcony.
I believe we ended up with somewhere between 4-6 inches. Hard to tell for sure when you don't actually go outside.

Snow Friday after cruise 12-15-17.JPG
Friday night we returned home from an 11 night Southern Caribbean cruise to a foot of snow on top of our car that
had to be cleared off before I got our luggage in it. Then when we arrived home I had to plow a bit through the
snow in the driveway to get close to the garage. It sure was a shock after 82 degree days on the beach sipping
rum concoctions with umbrellas in them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back