How did you find our forum?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How did you hear about this forum?

• Total voters
I found the site while searching for a wine making recipe using a triple berry blend. I came across many blogs referencing DangerDave's recipe. I Googgled his name and recipe and ended up on this site where I found the recipe and instructions he shared. I am fairly new to wine making so I created an account to learn as much as I can from the knowledge of others. Thanks!

Welcome!

i am interesting to make wine, from time to time i search many related information about brewing/fermentation, then end up i am here and register as a member.

Obviously my approach to developing any new skill is beat my head against it until learning has occurred. Wine making was going along at a fine pace until I realized it wasn't and I had made and bottled a bunch of garbage, so I went searching for sage advice until I landed here. Now I make better garbage that tastes like wine occasionally!

I was actually using dog pile as it compiles all the search engines together. I was looking for a goji berry wine recipe. I haven't found 1 as of yet for fresh berries but I am still hunting. Thanks

Googling whether my freezer burned peaches were worth trying in a wine, after the comments on the thread I am not gonna waste my time. Then I joined the forums.

Googling whether my freezer burned peaches were worth trying in a wine, after the comments on the thread I am not gonna waste my time. Then I joined the forums.
From the point of view of flavor it is worth it. The biggest determinant of peach flavor is pounds peaches per gallon. Peach is a slow to clear high pectin fruit, ie not as easy as grape.
Welcome to WMT

From the point of view of flavor it is worth it. The biggest determinant of peach flavor is pounds peaches per gallon. Peach is a slow to clear high pectin fruit, ie not as easy as grape.
Welcome to WMT
Oh thanks for that! I was thinking I might try some in a 1 or 3 gallon as an experiment, only loss is time I guess and it isn't that big overall.

Do you recommend using something to clear it (similar to what the wine kits use) or just let it sit for best results. (still new to the pros/cons on that).

The Rice_Guy is correct. Adding more fruit will produce a more "full-bodied" wine. But be careful, two years ago I tied using 3-1/2 lbs fruit per gallon and the wine never did clear. Even at 3 lbs per gallon it can take many months to clear.

if you search peach or plum in the forum you will find a number of references on clearing them.
Do you recommend using something to clear it (similar to what the wine kits use) or just let it sit for best results. (still new to the pros/cons on that).
* a kit will typically provide bentonite as a clearing agent. It doesn't really do anything on pectin, , , and stone fruits are notorious for needing help to reduce pectin. The peach I bottled this time last year has cleared in the bottle, Luckily it tastes OK.
* pectic enzyme (pectase) is the best thing to clear pectin. It breaks the polymer into smaller fragments so that they don't create a haze. I double or even 4x the suggested usage to get the job done.

I will be moving with my youngest to wherever they land (maybe Indiana, or Kentucky!!?) and they will be buying acreage. Maybe I can finally learn to make my own wine!! I'm so excited about the whole thing, and for me, moving is a trauma to be avoided like the plague.
So I was looking up crop info: how many #'s per lug or bushel, how many of those per vine/tree etc. and one of the offered up answers was here. And that's how I discovered this forum.

Sounds like my story is similar to most. I was searching google for any information I could get about winemaking. WMT consistently kept popping up. Eventually, I realized it was not a coincidence. lol

I am still very new to the forums and trying to glean whatever I can as a post stalker. I don't have much to offer at this point. :)

I was googling the use of Cinnamon in wine making, if like in baking it can kill your yeast.

Wham BAM, I fell into a wine making black hole and decided to join myself!

Found this forum with a google search. After reading a few posts in the Beginners and Country Fruit Winemaking sections,
I was hooked. Very knowledgable and helpful (!) members always ready to give guidance to beginners like me.

Back