How degassed before keiselsol?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sremick

Reaction score
I am wondering just how degassed the wine needs to be before adding keiselsol.

I'm doing a kit and I'm degassing with an AIO Wine Pump. I'm finding that after many minutes/rounds I can still get pretty vigorous bubbling if I let the pump run for a bit. Does this mean I have more degassing to do and should wait on the keiselsol?

Or is it possible I'm managing to lower the pressure to 0.05 atm and the ethanol is boiling off?

I will suggest simply tasting it to see if it seems carbonated. IME, it is tough to determine degassing progress just by looking at the bubbles. Remember, at low pressure, the bubble does not contain as much gas as one naively thinks.

I no longer vacuum degas, letting it degas over time instead. But when I used to, I found that the bubbles would essentially never stop, and that I managed to over-degas my wine: it tasted unsettlingly flat afterwards.

I am wondering just how degassed the wine needs to be before adding keiselsol.

I'm doing a kit and I'm degassing with an AIO Wine Pump. I'm finding that after many minutes/rounds I can still get pretty vigorous bubbling if I let the pump run for a bit. Does this mean I have more degassing to do and should wait on the keiselsol?

Or is it possible I'm managing to lower the pressure to 0.05 atm and the ethanol is boiling off?

I too have an all in one and rather than rack and rack again, guess did I remove enough, oh dang, better rack again, ad naseum. I rack when fermentation is complete, then every three months or so, maybe more, maybe less. and after that, all the CO2 that I need to get rid of is gone, so for me, it is a combination of rack and patience that removes the CO2 and maybe it is just the patience. If I wanted to do it much faster, I would still wait a few days between rackings.

Side note, you probably aren't boiling the ethanol off. No worries there.

Latest posts

Back