How critical is harvesting time of grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handy Andy

Reaction score
I know nothing, nada.

I was told to spray every 2 weeks for mildew by a local Portuguese expert. I didnt read the label on the packet I was given, written in Portuguese, until last week.

I have now read the label on the packet, which states grapes should not be consumed, for 6 weeks after spraying. My red wines are now ready I think brix level between 20 and 25 I think!. I sprayed 4.5 weeks ago. Will waiting another 1.5 weeks affect my grapes badly in any way???????????????????

Luckily my whites didnt get affected by Mildew and should be ready soon. I didnt spray them last time around, so they should be safe to consume, drink, enjoy etc :)

if there has been a rain since you last sprayed you should be okay. waiting another week or so should be okay if you are netted so birds will not consume the grapes. the brix maybe wayup but you can add water top bring it down.

Thanks! We had some very light rain, but It rained most of the day yesterday.

I am off to have a look, and taste!

I think I would rather add water to bring the brix down, than add sugar to raise it. The birds dont seem to be a problem yet.

Back