How clear is “clear”?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killa J

Junior
Reaction score
I’m waiting for my first 6 gallon batch to clear. However, the wine is extremely dark, so it’s difficult to tell how clear it is. Previously, I did 1/2 and 1 gallon batches, as well as 6 gallon batches of SP and Dragon’s Blood. Those were all easy to see through since they were much lighter in color. Do I take a sample out to see how clear it is? Or will I be able to see through a full carboy once it’s clear?

Is that in the carboy or pulling out a sample in a wine thief? I can even see the flashlight on my phone through the whole carboy right now.

Try it while the wine is in the carboy. Is the carboy made of clear glass?? if yes, then I would let the wine settle for a couple of weeks and then try again.

Plenty of my reds are too dark to see through in a carboy, even when crystal clear, but a laser pointer will show through if you have one available.

You can also take a small sample, put it in a wine glass, take it outside and hold it up to the bright sky with the glass partially turned sideways to allow you to see through. It should look crystal clear with no haze or particulates at all.

I have some black raspberry and cranberry that are extremely difficult to see thru when clear. I use a LED penlight and have tried a laser pointer, but the glass method is the best. Not only can you check the clarity, bouquet and legs - but you can see how the taste is coming along, too. :b

I degassed it last night by transferring between carboys with the AIO pump. It’s clear, just very dark.

Back